Tricks for more efficient note-entry?

lol :grinning:

I have long been irritated by the fact that we use a QWERTZ keyboad for almost everything these days. When I started in sound recording, one woked with a mixer and real tape recorders, my bicyle and car have similar unique interfaces. The controls were optimised for their functions and for the human body, and they were super easy to memorise. For recoriding music and writing it, we have traded the friendly human interface for the supposed convenience ofa QWERTZ keyboard, derived from the design of a century old mechanical typewriter and sending a spuerset of signals invented 60 years ago for long distance military communications. This device is supposed to be able to do everything efficiently. It doesnt, and the addition of the mouse to the aparatus can actually cause injuries.

This sounds like an exciting option. I have a 12.9" iPad pro; but I have not been able to see a really useful and comprehensive demo of how to use Metagrid on it, either on their website or on Youtube. Is it true to assume that it totally takes the place of the QWERTZ keyboard, while having all of the functionality of the latter more readily available? If I invest in this app, can I control Dorico with one hand on my little LPK25 and the other on Metagrid? (Actually, I only need it for speedy and accurate note input; the other functions are less repetitive, do not need the MIDI keyboard and are more suitable for the usual computer interface.)

Further details and reviews/testimonials are welcome!

David

2 Likes

I’m gonna get metagrid when I get an iPad soon. I think its really helpful for a lot of people and basically provides a lot of the same functionality as StreamDeck. Some people really love their streamdecks, but MetaGrid and stream deck are really close in functionality for what they do. Pros and cons either way. MetaGrid is about to release v2 soon, they are in private beta testing now.

StreamDeck has the obvious advantage that you can rest your hand on it to feel the buttons for entering music without looking down and metagrid you have to look down. I personally prefer the flexibility and more buttons of MetaGrid and plan to get it when I get iPAD. I will certainly put that through its paces before considering a streamdeck. I would rather use metagrid for those functions that I don’t have to do often, but I don’t want to have to remember the key command for. Then its easy to look at the screen and trigger the function. But for regular note entry, I would prefer to use a tactile surface, like a QWERTY and/or midi controller…there are other midi controllers that could be used, nano key, etc…which also provide tactile surface…but the nice thing about StreamDeck is the icons…similar as MetaGrid…but StreamDeck is tactile. Pros and Cons really.

But anyway I think QWERTY for the basic stuff, duration, maybe pitch…slurs, ties, dots, a couple common articulations… Then use MetaGrid for everything else so I don’t have to memorize their key commands.

You can use multiple StreamDecks if you need more buttons

I’m gonna try metagrid first. I see other advantages also, plus I’m gonna get an iPad anyway…so why not try it first? . I know the streamdeck users are loyal. I might get there eventually. Its one less thing to clutter my desk if metagrid suits me. The only thing about streamdeck is the tactile nature is nice. I see software solutions such as MetaGrid as being far more flexible in innumerable ways yet to be manifest. There are also other iPad solutions far more flexible then either Metagrid or Streamdeck, some are even free.

But I have heard some people complain that the Streamdeck buttons are a bit stiff and frequent use could cause hand/wrist issues over time? I have no idea, haven’t tried it yet.

Free sounds good! What are they called?

David

This is the free one that is starting to pick up the most steam: https://openstagecontrol.ammd.net

Its very flexible, more flexible the Lemur and TouchOSC…and free. Also more involved to set up.

TouchOSC and Lemur are not free, but they are quite affordable also… They are both a bit more flexible then MetaGrid…MetaGrid is hands down the most simple to setup…but so far anyway…its more limited, more comparable to a virtual streamdeck. I think MetaGrid is the most popular so far…primarily because of simplicity.

But Open Stage Control is totally open source and very very flexible in what can be done with it. T he sky is the limit if you’re willing to spend the time to set it up. I’m not sure if it can use custom icons though…might not. but is free. It also runs on Mac/pc in addition to touchpad. It actually runs its client in a webbrowser, so you can use it anywhere you can connect with a web browser. There are numerous tutorials on You Tube if you wanna see examples in action.

I think my biggest time saver was to quit the alt in all the alt- commands to make them single letters. Since I never use the letters for note input, it works just great. I also reverted to the Sibelius num keypad, ended up changing nearly all shortcuts, hacked the json files, build tons of macros, added a stream deck… and wonder if I’ll ever save enough time to compensate for all the time lost programming all these!

3 Likes

Metgrid ‘knows’ all the Dorico commands, which you can assign to a button on your iPad screen, with text or a picture on it. So you can assign each note duration, slur start, etc to buttons, instead of using the QWERTY keyboard.

Thank you! Is it limited to a maximum of 15 commands, or can one switch between screenfuls?

David

There are a number of different sized ‘grids’ you can have, and yes, you can have several.

The easiest way for me is to use a MIDI keyboard for the notes and the laptop to set up the note duration. Doing it this way runs of same note length ( eg eighth notes/ quavers) is easy.
I use a Roland RD700 keyboard for note entry via a Strindberg UR22C usb interface.

Like most things practice gives fluency if not perfection

Some thoughts on controlling Dorico via Metagrid on an iPad. (background: I’ve been building a Metagrid / Dorico interface for quite a while)

1. Metagrid is a poor option for selecting objects, and don’t even think about positioning the caret with it. You’ll still need a mouse and keyboard.

2. The upshot of this is that you if use it, an iPad / Metagrid setup will be another controller.

3. An additional controller isn’t all win-win. Moving between controllers requires additional thought, disturbs the workflow and, unless you’re disciplined and careful, leads to controllers being out of sync with each other.

4. The Dorico team have put a great deal of thought and care into efficient entry and editing. Where these processes are relatively straightforward (and can be enhanced through touch typing as is the case for much of note entry, for example), the Dorico approach cannot be beaten IMHO.

5. Where it gets interesting is when Dorico’s processes aren’t so straightforward. These can be defined as processes that require combinations of keystrokes, sometimes lengthy combinations that also involve text strings, and processes that are menu-driven or require navigation. In these cases Metagrid is a fast and convenient alternative.

6. Dorico has over 1,100 assignable keystrokes. Even experienced users will only be using a fraction of that number - inexperienced users substantially less. Metagrid enables users to only have to remember basic keystrokes (for 4, above).

7. Combinations of keystrokes (macros) are not the only benefit Metagrid can bring. Unlike Dorico, which is set up for everyone, a Metagrid setup can be tailored specifically to your needs. For me, these two points are where the real opportunities lie.

8. A setup that is tailored to your needs would, for example, have the majority of options you would be likely to use regularly close to hand.

9. Metagrid becomes significantly more powerful when used in conjunction with Keyboard Maestro. This enables access to anything on the screen, anything buried away in menus and even bridges Dorico with OSX.

10. There is no limit to the number of screens your Metagrid / Dorico application can have.

11. Metagrid is easy to use. The team there are quick to respond and very helpful (remind you of anyone?). It’s a good product.

12. Over the years, there have been quite a few comments in this forum about Metagrid apps never delivering what users really want by way of working with Dorico. I think that’s a perfectly fair response but I also think it’s a consequence of just how detailed and complex Dorico is. To deliver anything other than limited functionality (which people will inevitably find lacking) a Metagrid / Dorico setup has to be able to handle Dorico’s complexity - and that involves a quite staggering amount of work.

If I haven’t put you off completely, I’ve leave you with a few screens of what I’m working with that hopefully give a better sense of some of the possibilities of working with Metagrid.

This is the page I use for Write Mode / Note Entry. I posted this one a few days ago but already it’s changed as I found out I now only need the one button to turn slurs on and off. Do I use the notes at the top? No, they’re only there for completeness. But I do use the dotted notes below and, articulations aside, everything else on the screen. Not having to remember the keystrokes for Cross Above etc. is very useful (especially at my age!)

At the top right of that screen is a Common Edits button. That takes me to this screen:

… where part of the display gives way to showing edits I most commonly use. There are further options along the top for beaming etc. and options down the right if I want to head to some aspect of Engrave mode.

If I want a more complete list of dynamics, for example, the button at the top left takes me to this screen…

… which pretty much lists all the options for dynamics.

There a couple of points worth making about this screen - it’s also an opportunity to introduce edit functionality (Place Above etc.) - the more you can keep things together, the better. Also - this is a powerful feature in Metagrid - you can enable onward navigation so you’re automatically taken back to the screen you want. So if I was to select an mfz, it’d implement it and then take me back to the main note edit screen. One less button to press.

Referring back to the very first point I made, all of those edits need something to be selected so Metagrid is always working in conjunction with the mouse.

The idea of Common Edits is one I’m using a lot. So, for example, I have Common Options as a first stop for Layout Options. That way I don’t have to go hunting through different pages for settings I use all the time.

These buttons will either set the option for me or, if there are range of options available, take me to the place in Layout Options where I can change it myself. These are all prime examples of what I referred to earlier as sometimes lengthy combinations that involve text strings.

I hope this is useful and has given those of you interested in Metagrid some ideas for how you can use it. I don’t pretend to have all the answers on this but, compared to when I started on this last year, I do have a much clearer sense of how yet can be used. Bottom line: it’s not an alternative to Dorico’s methods, it’s an assistant.

Apologies in advance to anyone who’s looking for me to post any setups - I’m miles away from that stage. The next big task is adapting it for Metagrid 2.0. Hopefully at some point I’ll be able to post a fair number of icons - that’ll save a lot of work!

Best wishes,
David

6 Likes

Maybe I’m not seeing it but I’m curious–on your main write mode/note entry window, I don’t see the space bar.

Hi @lafin

If you’re referring to the area in Metagrid with scenes and the two shift buttons - I’m not using that. I tried but it became too unwieldy and I found I needed to maximise the space for the buttons. Pull the main screen down and that area disappears leaving the area above to fill the whole screen.

The screenshots I’ve shown are mockups for Metagrid 2.0. The functionality is already there and working in 1.7 but user-defined icons can only be implemented from 2.0. At first glance, all the icons in the examples are user-defined icons.

2 Likes

do you have any other knowledge about what new features are being added to 2.0 besides custom icons?

Thank you, David, for you comprehensive discussion of the pros and cons and practical illustration of Metagrid! It is very helpful.

David

1 Like

Should one wait for the release of Metagrid 2.0, or will it be a free upgrade from 1.7?

David

Thanks David,
I’m referring to pressing space to advance the caret in note entry creating rests.

@Dewdman42 Hi. I have a fair idea but that’ll be for them to say and anyway, I don’t know for sure how many of things discussed will make it into the final release. If you want, you can see for yourself by signing up for the beta program which will available sometime this month. Just e-mail them at info@metasystem.io