TRied to install the WL 8.0.2 Update and...

So finally it’s dawning that, when a product clearly states that a requirement is a specific minimum version of the OS, that it means that it may not work on lesser version of that OS?

Try installing on W7, then copying the folder from “Program Files” to an XP computer. Totally unsupported, but hey, you knew that, right?

This is not an installation issue only. If the files were correctly copied on a Windows XP system, WaveLab 8.0.2 could not start anyway.

We don’t need any new capabilities. We won’t complain to Steinberg if something doesn’t work, or works incorrectly. I will consider any problems my own responsibility. Is there a workaround install?

The “workaround” is to use WaveLab 8.0.1.

Agreed - you can always just stay on 8.01 if that somehow still works on XP.

Apologies - but as a WL8 user on a fully supported (and modern) OS - I (and many others) DO care about feature capabilities of the future and would prefer to have them continue unabated. That’s what we paid for. What I didn’t pay for is PG wasting time trying to shoehorn some ancient OS into the mix just to please those who will not move forward.

Probably should have read the system requirements as pointed out by PG before you purchased WL8.

Sorry - but it is what it is.

VP

Thats what I tried, but it did not work. The WL exe is not starting. This must be due to the compiler options for OS compatibility (targeting)…at least if MS Visual Studio was used.

Nils

I see it this way: A mistake has been made that allowed WL 8.0.0/1 to install on Win XP, while the previous version - WL7 - already was not intended for that OS. The XP users were already lucky to run v.7. The mistake has now been corrected and everyone is moving on - Steinberg, OS makers, plugin vendors, hardware manufacturers and most users.

Hey - I forgot about that. You are correct, sir.

VP

I sent you a PM asking how you installed the card.

I hear you.

Maybe in your business $800 isn’t too much but it is a BIG investment right now and as you probably know mastering is not as profitable as it once was. I will make do.

Have a good holiday weekend.

Be safe!

And so again I ask, can you please make an 8.0.2 installer that can install on Win XP. It would probably take much less time than we’ve spent talking about this. Lock out XP in the next version, and we’ll all know it’s coming.

I waited very patiently (2 years?) for the mod so we could use WL7. Now the mod is here in WL8 (thank you), and this. I would really like to use WL8 in XP at my own risk. And I’m not the only one.

I think Philippe was quite clear earlier in this topic: ‘WaveLab 8.0.2 uses updated tools to make it more optimized with Windows 7 and 8, and that is not compatible with the old Windows XP.’ Again, I think the mistake was to not use these tools already for WL 8.0.0/1.

Pro mastering apps have a LONG history of INTENTIONALLY SUPPORTING earlier operating systems. Pyramix, Sadie, Sequoia ALL STILL SUPPORT(!!) Win XP. And on the Mac, Soundblade and Sonic Studio before it support as far back as possible. And that is intentional and at the REQUEST and REQUIREMENTS of the pro users. In the case of Wavelab 8.0.2, WE’RE NOT EVEN ASKING FOR SUPPORT. We’re simply asking that the installers NOT BE INTENTIONALLY LOCKED OUT from XP install. This was easily done in 8.0.1 and can be easily done in 8.0.2. Cubase 7 can be made to easily run in XP, although not supported. Intentionally and arbitrarily locking out Wavelab is simply not OK. Please compile or target the installers as they were before. Thanks.

No need to shout. And personally, I expect PG to direct his time and attention toward the present and the future rather than the past. If you want to stay on XP, stay with the versions of that era. Nothing broken there, and you even save money. I’m not even going into your remarks about other ‘pro’ software being compatible. Especially the one about Apple and compatibility is a really good joke. :laughing:

Wow - I am completely baffled by the sense of “entitlement” here - you insist that you want NO support whatsoever, you got totally lucky that 8.01 managed to install on XP - at all - yet expect to be front and center reaping the benefits and fixes in the latest and greatest (8.02) as if nothing is wrong? WTF?

PG would be doing ALL of us (who actually take time and money to stay current) a huge disservice by even considering wasting any more time making v8 compatible with anything but Win7 & 8.

Especially when WL7 wasn’t even supported on XP.

VP

I didn’t say anything about Apple. Soundblade can run on 10.5 Leopard (and even PPC). That’s three OS old. Just like Win XP. And I do have to shout, because we’re being ignored.

How are you being ignored? PG was very clear in post #5 on this thread.

Stay with 8.01 on XP and be thankful that it works at all.

VP

Wasn’t it you that wanted to have the old WL7 recording dialog back? :sunglasses:
Frankly, I am also puzzled why many things have changed between the versions that are more a step into the past than ahead (e.g. why was TMS removed from 7 to 8?).

But why are you all so hardly arguing against someones needs? I do not think it will be a disadvantage for anybody if WL will stay XP compatible, maybe except Philippes time to set some compiler options …

I can live without XP compatibility, but I do not mind getting it back!

Nils

Yes, it was, and PG answered this: “This WaveLab 7 function was disabled more or less by mistake.” Losing XP compatibilty was no mistake, but a choice to take advantage of current OS technology and functionality.

8.01 works flawlessly under XP and browsing through the list of changes made in 8.02 I don’t see anything special that makes it necessary to get rid of XP.
I do not believe that at this time there is primarily a technical reason for quiting the compatibility with this OS. Of course the time will come, when it is not possible anymore to achieve compatibility with an arguable effort.
Now, it looks they just do not want to be bothered by people having problems caused by incompatibilities that nobody could have been tested. That’s ok, Steinberg is right to this at some point, but I doubt the technical necessity between 8.01 and 8.02.

Nils

None of us have no idea whatsoever in how WL is coded, compiled or otherwise built. Casually suggesting that PG “set some compiler” options is ridiculous.

There is tons of disadvantage for both the development of the app and to those of us that insist on staying current. Longer release cycles are guaranteed in order to test WL against three of four operating systems. More bugs guaranteed to slip in trying to maintain ancient code. Months of extra development time for new releases when trying to maintain compatibility with old OS code from days of yore (like this 8.02 example right here) is required. No to mention zero support from Microsoft should something be needed.

But as far as XP goes - nobody supports it within the realm of active software that I currently use and many more are dropping it as fast as possible. In April 2014 Microsoft officially stops XP permanently.

In the end - we all want WL to be the best it can be - but for development (and support) reasons - PG has to keep it tight. Supporting two iterations of Windows is fair in my book.

Folks still running XP (In this thread) might have their reasons to stay with that outdated OS but in 9 or 10 months - it’s over for good.

Windows 7 is king right now - and is mature, very very stable and very support. There is simply no reason I can think of - and I can think of a lot - to use XP for anything in July 2013.

VP

Then those XP folks should stop right there and be very thankful it’s so flawless.

VP