Triggering articulations

2 questions in one :

1. Is there a way to “manually” trigger an articulation (i.e. using keyswitches or cc in an automation lane like in Cubase) ?

2. Is there a tutorial explaining in details the “Dorico way” to trigger an articulation which is not a factory one (e.g. half tone trill for me) ? I know that this consists in a mix of “Expression map”, “Playing technique” and “Playback technique” but I can’t figure how to connect them. In any of the 3 relevant dialogs, I do not see the connection with the 2 others.

You can easily send arbitrary MIDI CC values using the Key Editor in Dorico 4. Notes for key switches are a bit trickier, since any note you put on the staff will also be printed. What some users do is add an extra staff to the instrument and then hide it using a Manual Staff Visibility change from the printed score.

For a half-step trill, the notation side is easy: simply add the trill marking in the usual way. In the expression map, you need to define an appropriate switch for the Trill half-step playback technique, which Dorico will automatically generate when it encounters the trill (assuming it really does resolve to a half-step interval, of course). Make sure that you have the appropriate expression map chosen in the Endpoint Setup dialog, which you access via the VST Rack panel in Play mode, and that should be it.

Thanks for your answer, Daniel. I tried to send a cc32 value to my Spitfire solo violin (locked to UACC) but it didn’t work (it is very difficult to put precisely the point and, after having put it, the violin stops to play anything).

Thanks for the notation side tip. I don’t understand why Dorico is expecting a half-step interval. Am I not supposed to write a half-step trill anywhere ?

But I still need a tutorial explaining the links between playing/playback techniques & expresion map :wink:

Dorico resolves the trill interval on its own based on the note on which the trill is written and the prevailing key signature. You can override this if you wish using the Properties panel.

Try this in-depth tutorial on expression and percussion maps:

Thank’s a lot ! This notion of “generated trill” is very interesting. A nice discovery and a lot of possibilities !

Thanks for the video. What I understood :

1. A playing technique can be created in the palette. It concerns the “visual” aspect of the articulation.
  2. This playing technique is connected to a playback technique (AFAIK it’s just a word in a list that you can edit).
  3. Finally, the playback technique is called in the expression map telling the vst what to play.

Am I right ?
I have a question : why the step 2 (playback technique) ? Wouldn’t it have been possible to connect directly the playing technique with the expression map ? Sure I missed something :wink:

Please see Playback techniques vs playing techniques? - #4 by PaulWalmsley

1 Like