Trill playback with Steinberg 1738 harpsichord

I got the Steinberg German 1738 harpsichord VST. Speaking as a harpsichord player myself, it’s really rather good - I was surprised. But it does not playback baroque trills from the PT menu. What do I need to make them work? The VST has no trill samples or key triggers.

Dorico doesn’t (yet) play back ornaments apart from trills, meaning in the limited sense the tr sign.

OK, so how would one go about making this work, without manually writing them out?

You can’t: you would need to manually write them out. You could do that by adding an extra staff to the instrument and writing the notes in there, then remove the change in the number of staves, which will hide the additional staff but retain the music.

So, if I do that we have:

Then when I manually hide the staff, the layout messes up:

Not good. How to remedy?

I’d say… write everything in galley view, hide what has to be hidden, then start making your casting off in page view.

1 Like

The question is, why does it mess up?

I don’t know… But you could also use the new Lock page button in Engrave mode — it sets breaks with the appropriate wait for… properties —, then hide your staff.

As I understood Daniel he didn’t mean to hide the staff, but to remove it again. Dorico keeps the music in this staff and will also play it back.

1 Like

@klafkid I don’t understand this. If you remove the staff doesn’t that mean the staff and the data on it are no longer there? In what sense do you mean remove? if a staff is removed, isn’t the music also gone?

You’ve used Manual Staff Visibility, which is always tied to a system break or frame break (hence the purple signpost that says Sys. Break + Staff Vis.). If you literally select the +1 Staff signpost and delete that, the data will still be there but the staff won’t be.

1 Like

I haven’t had a need for this yet, but if one does delete a staff with notes on it, is it possible to get it back again (for editing)? Or is it still visible in Galley view, just not in Page view?

If you add another ossia, Dorico will recreate the same ossia with the same music on it. The point is that deleting the staff just deletes the visual representation of the staff, not the data on it/

What does this mean? If a staff is deleted how do the notes remain? Can you help me understand this?

The display is deleted (or hidden) but not the audio data.
Lots of notation programs (Finale, for instance) allow you to hide a staff and still have it playback. Whether you agree with the word Dorico uses to describe it or not, the concept is the same.

So the word ‘delete’ is used here to mean ‘hide’ is that correct? It’s not that I disagree, just that I don’t understand.

It’s just how Dorico works. You can remove the staff, but the music on it remains. Same with Divisi staffs.
It’s a cool feature one has to be aware of, though.

Does this apply to normal staves, or only to ossia staves? I’m struggling with this. And if the music remains, how do you then delete it?

I’m pretty sure that true ossia staves (as opposed to other kinds of “added” staves) never play back.

I expect one would delete the notes on the added staff before deleting/hiding the staff.

Each instrument starts with a default number of staves - for most instruments it’s one staff, but for grand staff instruments it’s two (and in the case of organ, three).

If you add an ossia staff, Dorico gives you a +1 staff signpost and a -1 staff signpost. Either of these can be dragged left or right along the rhythmic to show or hide more or less of the ossia staff, but internally the staff exists for the entire flow.

If you add a regular staff above or below, Dorico gives you a +1 staff signpost but leaves you to remove it again (via right-click > Staff > Remove Staff), which will again result in a -1 staff signpost that can also be moved left or right.

If you engineer a situation like this, where Piano (a) (the default treble staff of a default piano instrument) has an ossia stave that comes in and out:

and then delete the -1 signpost at the barline of bar 3

it becomes obvious that from Dorico’s point of view, the ossia stave is a single staff. The signposts just tell Dorico what to display.

This same principle applies to regular staves added or removed above or below.

If you want to delete the music, you do it exactly the same way on any stave - you select the music and delete it while the staff is visible. If you’ve hidden an ossia or a staff above/below, use Add Ossia Staff or Add Staff Above/Below to make the staff visible again, then delete the music, then get rid of the +1 signpost again.

3 Likes