Triplet MIDI import issue

I am trying to import MIDI created in Logic that has an eighth note triplet with two 16th’s in the middle.

In Dorico I get a strange interpretation. See measure 2 in Dorico image which was imported from the Logic MIDI file.

The rhythm should look like measure 3 in the Dorico image (which was NOT imported, I entered directly into Dorico)

I have experiment with the Dorico MIDI Import Quantize Options but I have not found a solution.

Any ideas? Is there a way to get this triplet to import properly?

Here is an image of the Logic MIDI data

Dorico’s interpretation of the Logic data seems to be starting the measure with two sixteenth-note triplets instead of one eighth-note triplet with sixteenth notes in the middle.

yes. I’m not sure why that is happening.

I think because Dorico thinks triplets with long-short and short-long are more common than triplets with long-short-short-long. You’ll need to delete the two 16th note triplets in Dorico and then re-tupletify those notes.

Thanks. But how do you re-tupletify? My retupletification skills are lacking. : )

Engage Insert mode (I). Select the tuplet brackets/numbers and delete. Select the first note of your new tuplet and invoke the tuplet popover (;). Choose your new tuplet parameters. (Insert mode simply ensures that notes will not be over-written as they change duration during the process)

It’s worthwhile experimenting to see what happens in different scenarios as you add/remove tuplets.

Thanks! I will check it out.

It would be great if Dorico had a way to import tuplets like these. Not sure how to do it, but its the type of rhythm I use a lot when working in Logic.

You could try to export as Music-XML from Logic.

Jesper

Thanks for the idea. It didn’t work as far as I can tell, probably because of limitations with Logic score notation. So problem is on the other end? Seems for now I just need to avoid exporting these more complex duplets, or just simplify them down in Logic then re-create in Dorico. I guess that is best for now?

If we can’t find a way to import them right, I think the approach I would take is to work with the score you’ve already imported, copy a corrected triplet, paste it over subsequent wrong ones, and repitch.

The correct one stays on the clipboard until you copy something else, so you can keep pasting it. Where multiple instruments have the same pitches, you can Alt-click to copy those over without losing the original clipboard contents. (Otherwise of course you have to remember the pitches you’re pasting over.) If you don’t have a hundred of them, this is the most efficient way I can think of.

Good idea! Usually though… there are tons of these at all different pitches… so may be best to clean up in logic first?.. I think I may be able to find a way to select them quickly in logic and shift to another track or delete before I make a midi file for import to Dorico. Thanks for the ideas!! I appreciate it.

One thing, have you applied quantization permanently in Logic before export?

Jesper

Good idea! But same result… Thanks

This sounds the same and works when you import MusicXML from Logic to Dorico.

So the score looks the same in Logic but in the Piano Roll it looks like this

Notice the tuplets do not start at the ¼ bars but in the score they do.

thanks! I will give this a try.

Question: is exporting from Logic as XML generally better than exporting as MIDI (for bringing music into Dorico)? what are advantages?

I think it depends. If you have a good score layout in Logic, then XML should be better. If you only use the piano roll then probably MIDI.

Jesper

Thanks so much… I will experiment around with it

Midi is good when you have entered automation for CC1, CC1, etc. in Logic as it will be imported.

You will also get the articulations imported as key switches (notes outside the range of the instrument). So it will sound right in Dorico. However the generated score will only show a very limited number of the articulations (e.g. staccato dots). In general I end up deleting those keyswitch notes and adding the correct articulation designation as per the expression map in the dorico score.

MusicXML versions Logic and Dorico are using unfortunately also do not transfer a lot of info on the articulations and dynamics. Info eventually added manually in the Logic score is just interpreted as text above and below the staffs. Logic in fact also does not interpret dynamics entered in its own score editor I think (Cubase does)

Thanks!