Triplet questions

Triplet questions
Is there some way to stop a triplet from reverting to duplets if one removes the downbeat note (for inclusion in another voice or instrument)?
And is there a way of converting, for example, a series of eighth-notes under a quarter-note triplet umbrella to two eighth-note triplets (and back)? Also a dotted (quasi-siciliana) triplet wants to change post-factum into that monstrosity of quarter-tied-to-eighth/eighth/quarter after any kind of edit, and won’t revert back to the more sensible style
Failing solutions to these, are there current best practices for entering new notes which need to be various kinds of triplets without interrupting the flow of (MIDI, step-entry) composition too much? (Something hopefully simpler that suddenly changing from–say–2/4 to 3/4 at one-and-a-half-times-the-tempo and then whisking into 6/8 for the occasional quasi-hemiola-type motion, and then back again?)

the procedure outlined here–

Re: How to remove triplet and fix other notes compensating i
Report this post Quote
Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:06 am

This should be easy to sort out. First, make sure Insert mode is on (hit I, and make sure the caret with the chevrons is lit up in the note input
toolbox on the left-hand side of the window). Next, select the tuplet number and delete it: this will make those eighths unscaled, regular eighth
notes. To fix up the dotted eighths, simply select each of the dotted eighths and hit the . (dot or period) key to undot them. Then disengage insert
mode (hit I again).

–hints at explorations I might make, but if anyone has gone here before me . . . ? Thanks for whatever anyone can supply.

(Likely unnecessary background, which might explain odd questions you’ll get from me here in the next little while: I’m currently doing a little project as preparation for a big, definitely vanity project in which I want to compose and orchestrate a sinfonietta a week throughout the whole of 2018. I don’t depend on composition for my income, not do I have live performances lined up for any of these. I just want to compose, in my obsessed, facile, amateur way. The test sinfonietta I sketched out the other evening has a movement in which there’s quite a lot of alteration between straight 2/4 and triplets, and since I’ve used step-time MIDI input there are sometimes fairly hefty chords that need selection, copying and pasting from if I’m to make a useable score with the desired efficiency. I’ve orchestrated a few dozen preexisting guitar pieces over the last few months, and know that, barring technical bottlenecks, my big project ought to be feasible; therefore I’d like to identify and work around those bottlenecks that I discover.)j

Further experimentation is providing solutions. Without going into details right now (since I do have music to work on etc.) solutions require simply applying logic to the puzzles presented, and sometimes selecting or deselecting the number on the tuplet has to be part of the equation. Goodness me the people who put this together are clever!

A big thumbs up from me on making a commitment to compose and orchestrate a sinfonietta a week in 2018. If I manage to write one piece of music in 2018 I’ll consider it a major victory, and I think your goal is fantastic.

Thanks, Daniel.
Of course I selfishly think that what you are spending your time on is immensely valuable too, although I hope that if the muse comes knocking you won’t feel you need to completely turn her away.j

When two muses fight each other the big one often wins.