Triplets when importing .mid file

My project is in 4/4, with some 1/8-note triplets occurring regularly. I’ve prepared it in Cubase, and carefully lined up the triplets with the appropriate grid. Then I import a .mid file into Dorico. There appears to be no way to instruct Dorico to recognize triplets this way, is that correct?

So Dorico shows them as a combination of 1/8s and 1/16s. In my old notation program, I could select a group of 3 notes, and relatively easily change them to what I want, without affecting velocities or the playback. It seems that in Dorico I have to re-enter those notes, thereby destroying my performance. Is that correct?

You can already do all those things with Dorico 2.2.20
Use xml exports from Cubase rather than .mid files and the triplets should import without anything special to do. Or change the midi quantize settings (see https://steinberg.help/dorico_pro/v2/en/dorico/topics/project_file_handling/project_file_handling_midi_import_options_dialog_r.html?hl=midi%2Cquantize%2Coptions%2Cdialog)
And you can tuplefy notes after the fact : if there are three 8th notes following, select the first one, press the tuplet key, enter 3 in the popover, and Dorico creates a triplet with those three 8th notes…

Thanks Marc. I’ll investigate xml export/import, I’ve never used that before.
“Tupefy” lol! Tupefy after the event - that method might be easy if I had 3 8th notes, but after importing the .mid file, I have, for example, a 16th note, an 8th note, and another 16th note, making up one beat. I want to see three 8th-note triplets. I can’t first make them 8th notes, cos that will mess with the notes in the following beat. I eventually got it to work by changing one note at a time to an 8th-triplet, but I still had to fix up the following beat. And you need to be careful that you don’t erase a note in the process. It’s a very clunky operation, involving at least 7 or 8 steps, and maybe some trial-and-many-errors.

Actually, if you invoke insert mode, tuplefying after the fact gives good results… Start pressing i, then select the 16th notes and press 5, they turn into 8th. Don’t panic because of the mess it causes further. Tuplefy the 8ths and everything is back in order. Don’t forget to turn insert mode of by pressing again on i.

Marc, I bow to your superior knowledge. This did work with several of my issues in this project, thank you. However, if there happen to be ties to previous or subsequent notes (outside of the beat), or if there are rests involved, then the whole concept collapses. Basically not possible, I suspect, without re-entry.
Some of the issues would be easily solved if it were possible to select just one of a pair of tied notes - I’m not sure why this is not possible.

Dorico should make a decent attempt at identifying triplets, especially if they are already correctly quantised. There are a couple of known cases where they may not be identified such as if the triplet group doesn’t start on the beat. If you have a particular case that doesn’t import as you expect, please attach it here (or just a representative extract) so that we can look at improving the import.

Don’t forget you can cut ties wherever you want (or notes, as it’s the same object in Dorico): place the caret where you want to cut the note, press u (scissors tool).
Of course, Paul is right, and you should not even bother with that, if your import is perfect :wink:

Thanks again Marc, all those reminders of possibilities has got me sorted for now. And Paul, I will send a file soon for you guys to check out, thanks for caring! :-]

PaulWalmsley, I tried to attach a .mid file to illustrate my issue. But that’s not possible, it seems. Or even a Dorico file. It’s a .mid file that you would need to troubleshoot this further, I’m sure. How should I get it to you?

You can mail me at p dot walmsley at steinberg dot de

Any attachments posted to the forum have to have the extension “.zip.” You can zip it properly, or just change the file extension.

Thank you folks. You guys are great! :-]

For anyone following this thread, jgg has sent me the file and most of the tuplets do appear correctly if you have the correct quantisation options. There are some tuplets that don’t currently get recognised as the piano bassline is in two voices and the triplets are only in one of them. Dorico doesn’t yet separate out multiple voices and so it doesn’t do the tuplet-isation separately. This is something that we hope to address in a future version.