Trouble adding violin

I am having an awful time adding violin to my piano part. Hope someone can help me. Thank you.
Minna_Mansky

Did you follow these steps?

One thing that might be confusing: if you add a new player, Dorico will by default put / sort the instruments by a certain order. This happens automatically and is confusing. You will have to turn off the automatic sorting in Setup Mode, down below at the left.
Change it from Orchestral to None.

1 Like

Thank you k-b:

The instruments have straightened themselves out; violin on top line and piano on the 2nd & 3rd lines.
What I am having a lot of trouble with is setting my measures for 4 lines across. I know what page to go to, but am still confused on how to set up 4 bars per line or system. If you can help with that, I’d be happy. I have Dorico Elements 5 and I use a Mac.

Minna_Mansky

Choose Library > Layout Options. In the list of pages on the left-hand side, go to Staves and Systems. You’ll now see sub-categories appear. Click on Casting Off. Now in the main part of the dialog, activate the checkbox for Fixed number of bars per system, then click Apply followed by Close in the bottom right-hand corner.

1 Like

This technique was the top listing in the new Dorico Help when I typed “four bars per line.”

1 Like