Trouble in Paradise (update)

Update:
okay, so I’ve finally gone an entire day without a problem.

I’m only semi competent with in depth computer issues, so after trying a few things to no avail, I’ve got a guy
locally who picks up the computer at my house and has it back in a day or two - and he’s very reasonable.

Anyway, he found one malfunctioning 2gig ram stick and replaced it. also, the error messages were coming from the A1 Suite software which came with the ASUS motherboard, so he uninstalled that. I didn’t give him my dongle,
so he couldn’t run Cubase - but he ran a benchmark program and did what he could to try to make the computer crash, and he couldn’t.
He brought it back to me, I ran Cubase for 15 minutes - and it crashed. I figured Cubase was the problem, and was about to uninstall - when I decided to check my emails, and noticed that IE was acting crazy, too. Some icons were blackened out, crazy things happening on screen - so I called the tech and he logged on remotely using logmein, and had a look.
He said lots of people were complaining about problems with IE9, which I was using - so he rolled me back to IE8.
Since he did that, I’ve had Cubase running all day without a hiccup.

Does this make sense to anyone? Could Cubase and IE cause problems for one another?
After starting the computer, IE9 would work fine, but once Cubase would crash, IE9 would immediately
start twitching.
Since rolling back to IE8 - I’ve had no problem with either after a full day with both programs open.
Before rolling back IE, Cubase would only run for 10 or 15 minutes before crashing.

I’m still keeping my fingers crossed.

I’m posting this here because I’ve got more friends here and there seems to be more traffic - and I’d like to get busy on this.

I’m running Cubase 5.5.3 on Win 7 for a while now with no problems. Suddenly I had a crash mid project where
the screen sorta jumped around and an intermittent squealing noise started coming from the speakers.
If I close the project, reboot windows and reopen cubase - I can run the same project for a while, but after 5 or ten minutes it happens again. I thought it may have been a corrupted .cpr file, but the same thing happened when I opened
another project. I thought it may have been a windows problem, so I did a system restore - and the problem persists.
I did get a handful of slightly different error messages - one of which read:
Invalid class ststri,ProgID:".acp.acpiHmDDDat. A search of these forums for this error- and a google search produced no results.

I’m thinking I need to reinstall Cubase, and I’m wondering - what about all the .dll files of my VSTi in the vst plugins
folder. Will I lose them when I uninstall? Should I move the vst plugins folder to my desktop and move it back into
the Cubase folder after reinstalling?

I’d appreciate any and all input. Thanks.

Aloha Lenny,

Bummer.

I’m sure you know this but
before doing any thing more COMPLETLY back-up your entire hard drive.

A ‘bootable clone’ is best but save as much stuff as you can any way you can.

Good luck. Hope you get it sorted.
Sending much Aloha.
{’-’}

Complete sys specs? Correct ASIO driver selected? Trashed Prefs and set it up again? Your 3rd party plugs aren’t in the vstplugins folder in the C5 folder but in the one in the Steinberg program folder, right? If yes, you just make sure the directory’s set in Plugin Info-VST2.x Paths after trashing Prefs or re-install.

Power scheme always on with nothing allowed to put sys to sleep?

Like I said, complete sys specs incl. routing, i.e. USB or FW.

bummer indeed.
My first reaction is that it’s a hardware thing. Download something like speedfan to monitor your temps. If that is well, try a harddrive scan for errors.
But it could also be some corrupted driver or windows, really hard to tell :confused:

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies, guys.
I couldn’t respond earlier because I was in the middle of a chkdsk, but after a virus scan and a chkdsc
of the system drive, the results were clean - but since I did that, things are working ok so far.
No errors or viruses were reported - but can simply doing the check fix things, even if no fixes were reported?

I’ll keep my fingers crossed and report back tomorrow. :slight_smile:

Nate - for my own knowledge - how do I trash prefs and set up again?

Win 7 64 bit - AMDPhenom II X4 840 processor - 3.20 GHz - 8 GB ram- Cubase 5.5.3 32bit -
Presonus Firebox(Firewire)(correct ASIO driver selected) - Power scheme set to Steinberg audio power- computer never sleeps

https://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22557

Thanks Shinta. I’ll check that out.

I’m having the problem again, though it took over 40 minutes for it to act up this time.
I was able to render a mixdown.

I think it may be more than Cubase, though. IE is acting weird, as well. :imp:

edit: just read that - so I’m not actually ‘trashing’ my prefs, just removing them from the app folder,
putting them on the desktop, and putting them back after the reinstall, right?

Depends on what you want.
You can “trash” them and start anew.
Or:
Moving them to the desktop is a backup of them.
After deleting the app folder (or reinstalling), you can the put back the files individually for what you want to keep (ie key commands, etc; or all of them).
It would be trial and error though to see exactly what pref was causing the crash.

Back up your hard drive now.

Have you run a virus scan? Have you done a Windows Update to ensure that everything you have is up to date?

To me Shinta has the better idea; move preferences if you have to then bring them back individually. My opinion trash preferences gets bandied about as a first try fix way too often. Depnding on the amount of vsti’s and presets and preferences you have this trashing can be a huge pain. Maybe something to do after you’re statisfied you’ve tried more basic solutions. Not sure what your pc is but before I did this I would check hardware connection external and intenal including making sure ram is seated properly; stuff like that.

Versions under 6 are no longer compatible with Vista/W7.

“Compatible” and “Supported” are two different things.

On fresh installation, Vista marks Cubase 5.5.3 as incompatible.

Still doesn’t mean it won’t work.

Open regedit, search for the string - acp.acpiHmDDDat or just acpiHmDDDat
…or search for this string - ststri

What registry key does it come up in? Anything?

Anything interesting showing in the windows event viewer under “system” or “application” at the time of the crash?

The general error seems to be something like this, but with a corrupt name. Something funky is going on with a windows COM object.

“ACPI” has to do with power management, if the string there can be trusted.

This can be tracked down and fixed I suspect.

I’m not saying it won’t but any sniff of incompatibility I’m out of there these days otherwise little or no joy results.

In saying that XP still works and is supported until 2015 by Microsoft so the reality is there is no problem unless you are using incompatible applications.

Lenny,

Often with software there is a ‘Repair’ option in the installation process, I’m not sure about Cubase, but if you try this and the option doesn’t come up before the last step, you can cancel the process.
I would still save the Prefences etc. before doing this, just in case;).

Mauri.

I get that extremely loud BLUUUURRRRPPP freeze now and then. I always assumed it was due to a momentary system spike. Question: is the project in question quite heavy on the horsepower? Maybe if you render or freeze some of it it would help avoid the problem

BTW – I’ve been using 5.5.2 on Win 7 (64-bit) since Win 7 came out and have never had an issue

okay, so I’ve finally gone an entire day without a problem. :slight_smile:

I’m only semi competent with in depth computer issues, so after trying a few things to no avail, I’ve got a guy
locally who picks up the computer at my house and has it back in a day or two - and he’s very reasonable.

Anyway, he found one malfunctioning 2gig ram stick and replaced it. also, the error messages were coming from the A1 Suite software which came with the ASUS motherboard, so he uninstalled that. I didn’t give him my dongle,
so he couldn’t run Cubase - but he ran a benchmark program and did what he could to try to make the computer crash, and he couldn’t.
He brought it back to me, I ran Cubase for 15 minutes - and it crashed. I figured Cubase was the problem, and was about to uninstall - when I decided to check my emails, and noticed that IE was acting crazy, too. Some icons were blackened out, crazy things happening on screen - so I called the tech and he logged on remotely using logmein, and had a look.
He said lots of people were complaining about problems with IE9, which I was using - so he rolled me back to IE8.
Since he did that, I’ve had Cubase running all day without a hiccup.

Does this make sense to anyone? Could Cubase and IE cause problems for one another?
After starting the computer, IE9 would work fine, but once Cubase would crash, IE9 would immediately
start twitching.
Since rolling back to IE8 - I’ve had no problem with either after a full day with both programs open.
Before rolling back IE, Cubase would only run for 10 or 15 minutes before crashing.

I’m still keeping my fingers crossed. :sunglasses:

There’s a whole mother world inside the computer and programming. It it fixed the crashing, all may be fine on “the grid”

I think I may have read about ie doing something, but am unsure about that. A bad stick of ram can really screw things up. At least ram is detectable. I had a faulty psu in a saw once. It wasn’t till I built a new system, migrating only the psu that I found out what caused the blue screens and garbled video.