Trouble recording guitar - no visible waveforms.

Hi,

I’m a complete novice at recording and using cubase so hopefully I’ve made some really simple mistake you’ll spot straight away.

Quick rundown of my setup.

I have an electric guitar plugged into a Blackstar amp (HT1R). I have a regular guitar lead coming from the ‘emulated output’ of the amp into ‘input 2’ of a UR22 USB recording interface with the ‘HiZ’ button depressed. The UR22 is connected to my laptop via USB which is running the 64bit version of Cubase 6 AI. I am monitoring using headphones plugged into the headphone socket on the UR22.

I’ve installed the lastest Steinberg Yamaha USB ASIO driver and selected it in cubase and I think I have set up the input and output busses correctly. I loaded a random MP3 file from my computer into cubase and it played back fine and contained waveforms (which I did to test the busses). I then started a new blank project and dialed the gain knob for input 2 on the UR22 until I had good output levels showing in cubase when I played my guitar. I set the headphone level also on the UR22 so I could hear my guitar well.

When I tried to record a new mono track of me playing guitar, the box that would contain the waveforms appeared across the screen as I played, with a line in the centre as if it was recording just a tiny amount of background noise rather than any waveform of substance. When I tried to play it back I heard nothing, even when trying the headphone/daw mix knob on the UR22.

I’m not sure what I haven’t done or done wrong. Can anyone help or advise at all please?

giving u this link check out out the topics and how to record audio
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rosanna+daniel+cubase+5&page=1

Thanks very much. I’ve solved my problem now. It turns out my track was set up to record from input 1 of the UR22 instead of input 2 where my guitar/amp was plugged in. I can’t believe I didn’t notice that, lol.

I have a regular guitar lead coming from the ‘emulated output’ of the amp into ‘input 2’ of a UR22 USB recording interface with the ‘HiZ’ button depressed

The Hi-Z is only for direct connection from your guitar. The speaker emulated out on the HT1R is at line level.

Thanks very much for that information.