Trouble report - It works in 9.5.5 but not in 10

I transferred a two track 1/4" tape to WL. One track was going in the forward direction the other in the reverse direction.

My normal way of working is to reverse the track going in the reverse direction via the reverse command in WL and place it at the end of the normal track so everything is going in the right direction. I do this all the time in 9.5.5 but when I tried it in WL 10 it would not play. The cursor moved but no sound. I tried it three times and finally went back to 9.5.5 where it worked perfectly. FWIW.

Also sometimes WL 10 seems to shudder in playback for no apparent reason. It is like it is catching up with itself. Same sound card as I use for 9.5.5 but I never had that problem. Maybe something to do with latency???

My normal way of working is to reverse the track going in the reverse direction via the reverse command in WL and place it at the end of the normal track so everything is going in the right direction.

Hmm, please explain in other words.

sometimes WL 10 seems to shudder in playback

Audio or visual?

I use the “reverse command” to reverse one track in the edit window (usually the right track), then I take that reversed track and copy it and place it at the end of the non reversed track to make one long track then I delete the track I copied (usually the right track) and then I have a mono track (usually the left track) with all the audio on it. It has been working since version 6 of WL. All of a sudden it does not playback when I copy paste the track. The non reversed track plays fine, it is the “reversed” track that does not playback.

The shudder is just in playing back audio with one or two plugins. I have a very powerful Windows 10 machine with lots of memory and it has never been a problem in the past. The plugins were from FAB and Izotope.

By “track”, do you mean “channel” in the audio editor?
If I follow you, you end up with the left channel, followed with the right channel reversed.
And blank everywhere in the right channel.
When I do so, I find no problem.
But I must have misunderstood, because I don’t see the use of such a procedure.

shudder is just in playing back audio

What asio block size do you use?

He is processing a mono half-track (presumably) tape which is recorded in reverse direction on the second side by turning the tape over (as we used to in those days). To save time he has played this back on a stereo machine, thus recording the first side in the left channel, and the second side reversed in the right channel. He is now extracting the second side and reversing it to add as a continuation of the first side.

Thomas? Disengage the Resample process in the Master Section and tell me what happens? Does the stuttering stop?

Thanks for your very clarifying answer. I really appreciate it. :smiley: