Trouble Sending CC# MIDI Signal from VST Live to Boss RC 500

Hi there,

I’m currently attempting to send a MIDI signal (on any CC#) from VST Live to an external device, the Boss RC 500. However, it seems I can only manage to send program changes, and not the CC# signals.

From what I understand, I should be able to accomplish this by routing a MIDI track to my external device. But when I create a note on a MIDI track, it doesn’t seem to work - the RC 500 doesn’t respond.

When I open the MIDI List Editor, I’m also unsure how to assign a specific CC# to an event/note.

Can anyone provide some guidance on this matter? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi @johnnyB7,

you could use a Layer to send a MIDI CC event to your external device. Expand the extra MIDI area of a layer with that control :

Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 12.41.07

Now, you can setup a MIDI CC event, like this :

Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 12.41.59

The event will then send to you external device every time you activate the part of the layer.

If you like to control your external device with a MIDI Track, you need to create MIDI Clip to a MIDI Track, select it and add a Controller event with the List Editor.

I hope that helps,
Michael.

Thanks for this Michael.
So far it still doesn’t work, so I guess I am doing something wrong.
Here is what I did now:
Create Midi Track, Rout the output of that track directly to the external Device (RC-500), add a part on the Midi Track, add any note to the part(probably not necessary), open Midi List editor, add Controller, chose CC#12.

And I told the RC-500 to trigegr Record on Track one when recieve the signal on CC#12.

What am I missing?

… hm, don’t know (for the moment). But let’s check if your MIDI device will send the data to it’s output and back. For that connect your MIDI-OUT port with your MIDI-IN port.

1. Start VL, create a new project
  2. Select TRACKS
  3. Add a MIDI Track and Select the Output port in the inspector
  4. Create a MIDI Clip from 1.1 - 2.1 and double click to it to open the MIDI Editor
  5. Add a Note-On event to 1.3
  6. Open List Editor and add a Controller event
  7. Change Data1 to Controller12 and Data2 to 42
  8. Open MIDI Monitor and select the Input Port
  9. Start Transport

You can see the that events are send to your OUT port and the MIDI Monitor should show you the received events. Right? It should like this one here

Michael

1 Like