Troubleshooting MIDI input (not working)

Today I booted up Dorico, and it’s not accepting any incoming MIDI from my controller (Akai MPK88 via USB). It was working fine yesterday.

I went into Dorico’s prefs (Play > MIDI Input Devices) and made sure that this controller is enabled; it is:

I tried quitting and restarting Dorico. No change.

I tried un-clicking those Akai ports, then hitting Apply, then re-clicking those Akai ports, then hitting Apply. No change.

I tried launching Kontakt in standalone mode; it instantly receives MIDI input from this keyboard as usual.

What else can I try? Given the troubleshooting steps above, it seems Dorico-specific.

Please choose from Dorico’s menu Help > Create Diagnostics Report and post the corresponding zip file here. Thanks

Thank you Ulf:

Dorico (1.7 MB)

Thanks for the data.

I frequently see log entries that say e.g.

updateStreamingEnabled → disconnectEventInput: Akai MPK88 Port 1; id => 10 StreamId => 0

I see connectEventInputs as well, but always followed by a disconnect. So your AKAI does get recognized from Dorico but not connected for reasons I don’t know. Does @dspreadbury maybe know why that is happening?

I can see some entries in Dorico’s application log that suggest the audio engine is periodically not responding (Dorico is sending MIDI events to be auditioned, for example, and the audio engine is not responding) so I wonder whether there’s some kind of problem there. Is playback working OK in general?

Today (after a complete system reboot) the MIDI is back working normally again. So I don’t know what to say other than the gremlin went away.

Playback seemed to be working OK - only MIDI input was broken yesterday when I reported this.

I’m struck by the mention about the audio engine. I’ve been having quite a few problems with my UAD audio interface. In theory, that shouldn’t mess with MIDI, but I’ll mention it since you mentioned the audio engine not responding. I won’t bore you with details of the UAD issues but they are related to the UA custom drivers getting confused and sometimes not working properly, because the UA software goes haywire when there are multiple users in macOS logged in simultaneously.

I guess there’s not much followup to do here since the issue went away, unless you have any other recommendations for things you want me to try, should it happen again.

Dorico communicates with MIDI input (and output) devices via the audio engine rather than directly, so if the audio engine isn’t running properly, MIDI input won’t be working either.