troubleshooting un-optimised chipset issues

Well good luck than.

since you are in denial and havent responded to most what i said i will leave you to it than.

Hello wavefunktion,
First of all, I am very sorry that you have to face these kind of performance issues on your system!

However, we cannot issue a full refund on everything just because there are some system specific issues that you are not interested in solving together with us anymore.
I have had a look at the videos and your posts, so please allow me to comment on some things I have noticed.

If you have found people reporting various issues with the x58 chipset controllers why is the mainboard the only component you have never changed? My first suggestion would be to invest in exactly that part of your system setup. The mainboard has been released over 6 years ago and the processor model was released 7 years ago. I wouldn’t exactly consider this wasting money over and over again…

Anyway, here’s some more on the videos:
(1) Cannot reproduce here. The cursor runs smoothly even though I am moving around with different tools selected.
(2) Have you tried all the options available in the VST Audio System? Different ASIO Guard Levels, Audio priorities and the Steinberg Audio Power Scheme?
(4) The LatencyMon shows in red letters that “your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio…”. You have mentioned elsewhere that you do not have issues rendering/encoding videos or playing PC games on this system. Those are two tasks that are on the very other end of the spectrum of things you can do with a computer. Especially with video rendering, there is almost no real-time required. Cubase needs a totally different environment to be able to deliver a stable performance for real-time audio and LatencyMon hints at the fact that this might not be possible with your system.
BTW, in that video you ask what the “High Definition Audio Device” is. No, it’s not related to the RME UCX but rather to the onboard audio device of the mainboard.
(5) The memory stability tests show no errors. This is good news but memtest doesn’t put this into relation to the performance achievable with the system.
Also, I have noticed that your RAM timings are a bit off (534 MHz, DDR3-1069) and the memory modules are not listed in the qualified vendors list ASUS provides.

The msinfo video leaves out a rather important part with the other software environment entries (especially Startup programs)

Also, I haven’t really found any info on what kind of real life projects you run. Are any 3rd party plug-ins and instruments involved? How do you work?
Because the performance can be affected heavily by any plug-ins used.

Frankly, I am not sure how to proceed as we won’t be able to offer any refund partly due to the points mentioned above while you insist on a refund. The forum is definitely not the correct place to discuss this. I have seen that you sent an email containing all your receipts. Some of the purchases haven’t been made with us directly but with local dealers so any refund would have to be discussed with your contractual partners then.

If you want to provide more information on your system (the msinfo file and a real-life project) you can contact Steinberg HQ any time at info [at] steinberg [dot] de. Please mention this topic.

thanks for your reply Ed,

However I knew this case would would end up in a mess like this and ofcourse the customer is always the one who gets ripped off, and Steinberg is the one who will try and point out every nook and cranny to try and pin all the issues back onto me with every possible technical detail.
I just wish Steinberg had some compassion for a non-wealthy musician customer who has been trying to use your defective software, but I just can’t put up with it anymore, this is not what producing music is about.
I have enough evidence and I can provide any other information needed.
No poor producer is going to purchase my $2000 AUD eLicenser off ebay.
As a sign of good faith from a supporting customer and trying to support a company I ended up purchasing the following Steinberg products over time aswell:
(1) Cubase 7, 8
(2) Cubase updates 7.5, 8.5
(3) Halion 5
(4) Halion Symphonic Orchestra
(5) Groove Agent 4
(6) Absolute VSTi Collection DL+

As you could imagine I haven’t even been able to use these products due to the core Cubase performance issues and I did NOT purchase these additional instruments to be used inside of other company DAWs. That was not my intent.

(1) I have tried ASIO Guard ON & OFF = No differences
(2) Yes LatencyMon shows to be appearing having trouble handling real time audio, however Ableton Live and FL Studio work just fine without any un-expected performance behaviours, so…
(3) Yes I figured eventually that the “High Definition” Audio Driver was something to do with the HD Audio header on motherboard.
(4) I have a set of Corsair Vengeance and G.Skill Ripjaws that ARE on the Qualified Vendors list and the same issues persist.
(5) 3rd party plugins are a very minimal amount and have all been purchased.
(6) I can provide further msinfo32 and any other information as needed / requested.
(7) You can’t expect someone to upgrade to brand new computer platform for every new software release. As a general computer enthusiast I am naturally continuously upgrading components - GPUs, CPUs, Audio Interface, PSUs, HDDs etc. etc. so asking why I havn’t upgraded my motherboard is irrelevant.

What happens when I provide all this additional information you are requesting and the issues persist ?

I just really want my wasted money refunded because $2000 AUD is too much dude, I have no interest in using any of the Steinberg instruments in any other DAW. I don’t want to support Steinberg anymore.

Please close this topic and take it to PM.
not sure what you want to acomplish, but you are not doing yourself any favors or help your case.

You need to load your BIOS defaults.
Your system needs a clean full install
It needs to be updated with all windows updates
It needs the INTEL AHCI driver
Also the right intel chipset identifaction utility for your mainboard
And then update to the latest Intel chipset / USB drivers
Your soundcard can be dissabled in the BIOS
Then look for conflicts in the device manager via resources / IRQ’s
If any of the lower IRQ’s are shared, you need to physically move slots/ports
Then start latencymon and see how it goes
Only when you can prove you’ve got everything working till here, you can start investigating Cubase.

Do your due diligence instead of some stuborn moral apeal. The appropiate steps THOUROUGHLY in the appropiate sequence.

Raphie,

This is good evidence of communication between the customer and company before I think about taking further actions.

I have used the official support resources provided from Steve. I recieved a message from a Yamaha representative saying that my issue has been forwarded through to the appropriate troubleshooting/support. It has been 3 days now (although being reasonable I will allow 2 weeks for a response)
Not to mention that the word count for the problem description in the official support is very limited and I had to send several to get through any decent amount of information. The conclusion being that I am just getting further redirected through the official support resources as I predicted and im guessing the communication will be slow etc.

Here is my msinfo32 Startup Services = - YouTube

Here is my msinfo32 Program Groups = - YouTube

Here is a picture of my installed VSTs & Plugins - http://i.imgur.com/JCCox7a.png

Here is a picture of my $3000 AUD eLicenser that im willing to sell to someone for $1900 AUD o.n.o - http://i.imgur.com/6K3U2Cj.png

(1) I have reset BIOS to default a hundred times over
(2) I have performed a dozen fresh reinstalls since owning Cubase 7 - 8.5 , the last fresh reinstall was about 1 month ago.
(3) Windows updates are upto date
(4) The missing Intel AHCI drivers turns out the be the ASUS PC Probe GUI Interface as mentioned on google (not significant)
(5) Drivers are all upto date
(6) Onboard Audio is disabled
(7) have looked for IRQ conflicts, can’t find any issues. Ableton Live and FL Studio work fine without unexpected performance behaviours.
(8) Have tried every physical slot combination there is possible. All output the same issue.
(9) Issues persist with ASIO Guard Enabled and Disabled.

How exactly do you want me to further prove this lol, geez.

Instead of everyone focusing on me and my negative attitude. How about Steinberg focuses on re-assessing their business model and support infrastructure etc.

I will test the Steinberg Power Management and report back, if there is any further additional information and videos I can provide please let me know.

Try cubase on a friends computer and report back, the advise to replace your motherboard mentioned a few times is the best I heard yet.

I’ve sworn not to use ASUS motherboards anymore because I have had similar issues like you, replaced the system and never looked back, except for my current PC, it’s ASUS again :slight_smile:

thankyou for your informative response. I feel better knowing I am not the only one lol.

While I understand that upgrading to a new computer platform would most likely resolve the issue, its just that I have got to a point now where I can not afford to waste anymore time or money on continuously troubleshooting and upgrading to new computer platforms when there are other programs like Ableton Live and FL Studio that are functioning fine. I will check out Reaper sometime and if worse came to worse I would just use Audacity for a DAW lol.

Also just to mention I have been ripped off as a consumer for the majority of my whole life, everything made in china these days, terrible production lines and quality control, terrible components, terrible optimisations. Most things are DOA these days and I am so sick of seeing my money wasted down the drain its just become ridiculous.

My workflow and approaches to production have changed over the years and im now convinced eurorack is the best way to go for me using the least amount of software possible. Hell, if I had all the money I have spent on VSTs and Plugins I would be able to afford a beastly eurorack and have 0 software issues.

That was a bit of a off topic tangent.

I will report back with Steinberg Power Management, a few other bits and pieces. I will try and get some project files uploaded etc.

Any additional information please let me know.

You don’t get it.

You need to do EXACTLY those steps. ASUS probe has NOTHING to do with an AHCI driver.
You might feel you’ve done enough, but you haven’t.

Steinberg/Yamaha will not go through your system settings. Your problem is not a Steinberg problem.
Please follow the EXACT steps as described above, nothing else and report back.

Do you want this resolved, or are you going to waste everybodies time, moaning about a refund you aren’t entitled to?
Seriously on a missconfigured system your pictures and videos mean NOTHING.
It’s not about symptoms, it’s about root cause.

I absolutely get it Raphie, but if you wan’t to be so persistent to jump down my throat then please be of more assistance ok:

(1) What utility do you want me to install exactly ? P6X58D-E - Support please check under utilities of download section.
(2) Do you want me to make a hand held cam video of me resetting my BIOS and showing exactly how I set it up ? yes or no ?
(3) The latest drivers and chipsets are installed already
(4) I fresh installed a month ago so im basically at this point in the process anyway, but I will reformat again if you insist.
(5) I have shown video evidence showing msinfo32 IRQ status , everything ok. Not to mention I have already tried every USB slot configuration already aswell. (Do you want pictures of the USB cable in the different slots ?)

These are the kinds of things I have been doing for the past 3 years, just wasting all of my time and getting no production done.

I predict that after I do all of this LatencyMon will output the same stats, Cubase will still have serious performance issues and Ableton and FL Studio will work fine.

Ok, I will start a new full documentation of your steps. I will be back with updates. Here goes to another month or 2 of getting no production done, yay !

first off all, there is a new BIOS: P6X58D-E BIOS 0803

would recommend to flash and load Setup Defaults

then you need to do a clean Win7 install, this means boot from CD/DVD or USB.
Delete your partitions, so your whole system disc is unpartitioned and install from there

then first thing install the Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V9.1.1.1020 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7.(WHQL)

Reboot your system, install your NIC and run Windows update, over and over, till all updates are done.
incl. service packs.
Then go to Nvidia and download the latest Geforce driver

Did you claim your Win10 copy BTW?

So to start this new documentation these are the following drivers I install from ASUS website:

• Motherboard Chipset - Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V9.1.1.1020 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7.(WHQL)
  • P6X58D-E 0701 BIOS - (no point flashing to the newest BIOS v803 with +246mb RAID bloatware.)
  • USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver V2.0.4.0 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista& 32/64bit 7.

No LAN (Onboard Disabled)
No Audio (Onboard Disabled)
No Sata 6GB Marvell 9128 Controller (Onboard Disabled, I don’t use those 2 SATA ports)
No IEEE 1394a Controller (Onboard Disabled)

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX970 driver v376.09 (Install after Microsoft NET Framework 4 has been installed after windows updates)
  • RME FireFace UCX Driver v1.095 Rev 46 and newest firmware
  • SSD Drives newest firmware (havn’t needed to update)
  • Intel Gigabit CT PCIe Network Adapter seems to work fine without any drivers, however I have also tried installing the according Intel Network Adapter driver found here: Intel® Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter.

The only thing new in this process will be installing the ASUS Utility that you demand. Is there anything else worth mentioning about the current driver situation ?

Next step is to document my BIOS setup I guess.

no I did not claim my free version of Windows 10.

And could you please verify what ASUS Utility you want me to install exactly ?

Next documentation will be a video camera showing a physical reset and re-setup of BIOS Settings. Then after that a fresh Windows 7 reformat.

NOTE: CMOS Battery has also been replaced.

I don’t want you to install an ASUS utility?!?
I want you to install INTEL AHCI DRIVERS

Look here for the last x58 version

No need to install the whole raid package, just install the AHCI driver by double clicking in the device manager
It’s explained in detail in above link
I would recommend to update the BIOS v8 has more improvements over the INTEL RAID oprom

For further starting information purposes I have created a ASUS P6X58D-E Motherboard image album currently showing the following information:

(1) Motherboard Specifications Summary
(2) Motherboard Layout Overview
(3) Motherboard IRQ Assignments
(4) Motherboard RAM Specifications

found here: ASUS P6X58D-E Motherboard Information - Album on Imgur , with this information is there anything worth mentioning about the IRQs ?

Furthermore here is evidence that my current Corsair Dominator CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 JEDEC Tables and Timings are all correct, as questioned by Ed:

We can call that slight incorrect DRAM Frequency 534.5MHz as “normal” because the JEDEC information is all correct and also CPUz shows a in-accuracy in reading my CPU aswell as it states the Core Speed @ 3206.99MHz when it should be a flat 3200.00MHz according to theory after disabling Turbo.

Ok, so stay on track with this new documentation, the next steps are:
(1) BIOS Setup video documentation
(2) Fresh Windows 7 reformat (Delete C:\ partition and create a new one, reinstall Windows 7.)
(3) Install Chipset and USB 3.0 driver
(4) Install ALL of Windows 7 updates
(5) Install NVIDIA GTX970 driver, RME FireFace UCX driver

(6) Start reporting back with a fresh install of Cubase 8 and 8.5 with NO VSTs or Plugins installed.

Raphie,

Ok, so im a little confused. Please bare with me.

So I understand that you want me to try installing updated AHCI drivers.

So are you saying that these new drivers should be included with the newer BIOS v803 ? or can I continue to use BIOS v701 and just download and install the updated AHCI drivers provided from that website ?

Also, that website is a bit too nerdy for me to understand. Would I be looking at downloading the “I. Intel AHCI/RAID drivers from the “classical” Intel RST Series” or a different one ?

Thanks

Just in hopes there might be a interested buyer out there somewhere, Here is my eLicenser and proof of its value of close to $3000 AUD.

I will convert my Steinberg, Arturia account and Waldorf account to any buyer.

I only have Arturia V Collection 4 though and not 5. I could not find the receipt for V Collection 4, but it was about $150 or $200 cheaper then the current V Collection 5 I think.

So im willing to sell this $3000 AUD eLicenser in full and convert my Steinberg, Arturia and Waldorf accounts to buyer for $1500 AUD o.n.o

You would be doing me a great deed in getting rid of unwanted BS. The Australia AUD is worthless to alot of places to you might be able to pick up a great bargain !

I will continue with this new full in depth troubleshooting documentation until otherwise. (Please someone save me loll)

eLicenser for sale: eLicenser - Album on Imgur (The text document is copied directly from pdf invoices, I have proof for every purchase)

According to XE conversions:

1,500 AUD = 1,122.71USD
Australian Dollar
1 AUD = 0.748471 USD
US Dollar
1 USD = 1.33606 AUD

1,500 AUD = 1,043.61EUR
Australian Dollar
1 AUD = 0.695738 EUR
Euro
1 EUR = 1.43732 AUD

And I just checked my Waldorf Largo receipt I paid 199 euro for it instead of the new reduced website price of 169 euro.

So you’re quitting with daw production full stop?
If you want to sell abroad, you need to sell your account as license transfer is from dongle to dongle.
Outside NZ import duty/tax will need to be paid.
You’re better off selling in NZ locally.

Regarding AHCI
Yes update the BIOS to V8
Download the latest classic driver from Fernando
DON’t run the installer, just upack
Go into device manager > AHCI controller > doubleclick > driver tab > update driver and point to the location where you unpacked the RAID driver package

Hi Raphie,

Yes I am willing to do anything to get rid of these issues out of my life and gain a little bit of money back. I knew that the eLicenser scenario was going to be a pain in the butt to ever try to sell or transfer to new person. Thats partly why I am so annoyed and wish Steinberg would just refund my money and delete the licenses and close my account and be done with this forever. But I will try one last time with a proper full documentation.

But lets continue to try and troubleshoot together, I appreciate your help. 4 days and counting and I still havn’t heard back from official support so yea, good times ahead of me.

So here is a video upload of exactly how I setup my BIOS from default settings. Is there anything worth mentioning before I proceed to do a fresh Windows 7 reformat ?

And just to verify that I understand you correctly, you want me to download the following:

• I. Intel AHCI/RAID drivers from the “classical” Intel RST Series - Universal 64bit Intel RST AHCI+RAID driver v11.2.0.1006 mod+signed by Fernando

Unpack and manually update my IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers - Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller through device manager.

Which files do I manually direct it to for installation ? or does it just automatically scan the folder etc ?

Lastly, once I start the Windows 7 reformat, when is the best time to install the updated AHCI driver ? before or after Windows updates ?

and I will flash BIOS to the newest version v803 before starting the reformat too.

Thanks for your help

BIOS has been successfully updated to v803

Im just waiting on a little bit of clarification before I proceed with the fresh Windows 7 reformat.

Hi, you are right, that’s the version You need to install. Once windows has been installed
Just point it to the folder where you have unpacked it, it will find an .inf file there and copy the required files automatically.