True Coreaudio Support?

The problems were happening from the beginning, when I ONLY had HALion Sonic SE. That wouldn’t be the problem really. The only thing that could possibly be wrong: Cubase 6 failed installing once on my computer. It’s a bug that happened to a lot of people where the installation would fail after staying on “installing HALion Sonic SE Advanced Content”. My only guess is that it potentially messed some things up… but to be honest it doesn’t make sense to me that the whole program would mess up because of one VST- one that I don’t plan to use much after acquiring better instruments. So… the audio crashes haven’t happened since deleting preferences. Cubase has crashed once though (about half an hour ago while trying to load a different project) So once again here are the main concerns:

-Instruments seem to be unreliable because sometimes notes drop out in more complicated segments. It might be HALion Sonic SE specific, but I doubt it.

-The program randomly freezes temporarily when pausing playback, starting playback, loading a vsti, moving notes in the midi viewer, etc.

-I fear the return of the audio crashes. It’s only been about 1.5 days so I’m not certain that the problem has been fixed.

EDIT: If the problem isn’t Cubase, then I’m not sure what to do. I bought this laptop almost exactly ONE year ago so I’m not sure if the warranty has passed. Maybe tomorrow I can call Apple through my Applecare number to see if it still works… probably not. What exactly should I ask. Normally I’d get a live representative from another country to be honest. What are the chances that he’d know anything about coreaudio/testing to see if the computer is damaged?

Also, the mp3 audio crash happens for milliseconds really, usually when doing something in the background. Still it IS quite odd…

How many VSTi’s/how much cpu load are we talking about here?

[edit] take the computer to an Apple Centre - they can run tests to see if anything is shaky.

Here’s an image of my latest song project that uses only HALion Sonic SE sounds: (and also the CPU seems to go to almost 200%/200% for no reason! It fluctuates a lot… 60% without playing, 150% when playing medium complexity parts, etc. I’m not sure if all of that is normal or not considering that many people with the same laptop can create much more than I end up creating…)

It really isn’t a LOT.

Sometimes I feel like the house I’m in has faulty electricity. I took my laptop to my friend’s house and I didn’t have nearly as many problems as I do now. Maybe I’m just hallucinating.

EDIT: Would you believe that there isn’t a true Apple Store near where I live? There IS a 3rd party Apple enthusiast “expert” place. I think they’d be good enough for the job…

I really need to act quickly, so what do I do?

???

Well if this is not an original composition or something you would not share, You could share the project with one of us. I could for instance open it and see if it causes trouble at my side too…My config is not exactly the same but it would be some indication.

Hugo

It is a personal composition… but I can send a different one that also had some troubles. What seems to happen is that instruments drop out less if they are not in the same instance of HALion Sonic SE. Polyphony doesn’t change anything though… It’s odd. I’ll send THAT file in a private message. Thanks for the offer, and I hope you are as trustworthy as you seem. :wink:

Ok.

And you can always google me. My username is my name :slight_smile:.

Hugo

I’ve decided that I ought to show exactly what I’m hearing on my end before I start sending projects. Here is a test track showcasing the problems. I’ve simply recorded the output of Cubase’s sound. I literally end up showing how the song should sound, and how the song sounds in the worst case scenario. I’ve left timed comments everywhere. They should help. Looking forward to fixing all of this if possible. Thanks.

http://soundcloud.com/synchronizerman/cubase-troubleshooting

So? Anything I can do?

This is worse than anything I’ve heard coming out of a DAW, your best bet is probably to get someone over and check your system, someone who’s an expert on Cubase and Mac.

/A

So you’ve listened to the test track. I don’t know of anyone at all who is a Cubase expert, let alone a MAC Cubase expert.

Yup, I mean I’ve heard dropouts and I know how my system sounds when I set the buffer too a ridiculously low setting on a heavy project, letting the asio meter hit the roof constantly, it’s nothing like this. It sounds as your whole mix is run through some stutter effect or playing and dropping the transport at radom locations here and there.

If I understand everything correctly, you’re running with the onboard sound card. I’ve seldom done that myself but the few times I have I know that midi and VSTis have behaved extremely strange even though regular audio tracks play just fine. Things like arpeggiators timing like they where drunk and synths playing out of tune.

So either you spend some weeks and learn about your system and hopefully you’ll be able to troubleshoot it yourself, or you find someone who can physically work on your computer, because these one of a kind problems are just so hard to troubleshoot over the internet.

/A

How unfortunate; I literally have next to no resources. Sigh this requires some thinking…

and I’m beginning to have audio crashes again.

i’d do a back up … reinstall everything including os x and start very clean. then update to the latest snow leopard build and latest cubase build. will take a couple of hours to do… so if it is a software problem that should sort it out … If it’s still reproducible after that then it could be a hardware fault

How would I back it all up? Well to be honest the local third party apple place could probably do it.

you don’t know how to back up?

time machine … superduper , carbon copy , google is your friend

I don’t have any external drive…sigh…I am somewhat… lacking…

Well then. I guess my computer just isn’t good enough. $2500 down the drain when I could have gotten someone to build a Cubase specific PC for me for the same price… What a mess. 4GB goes down the drain like THAT, and I finally found the ASIO meter on the virtual keyboard. Yes, every time the audio crashes or whenever an instrument stops playing, the meter blinks red and if it does so for long enough the audio completely crashes. Playing this: crashes the audio almost instantly:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What a mess. I’m basically doomed at this point.