Truncated audio track when stopping recording

1. Summary/Title
I have been recording a single audio track for about 2 hours as I usually do while recording rehearsals with the band.
When I stopped the recording, I have seen the full waveform for a split second which then got reduced to only 5 minutes worth of recording.
I checked the trash bin but nothing is there.

2. Description
See above.

3. Expected Results
The audio track should have been the fully recorded length

4. Actual Results
The audio track has been truncated to 5 minutes

5. Environment
iOS 16.0.3
Cubasis 3.4

Hi @santinelli,

Thanks for your message!

Do you see the full recording in the audio editor (when opening the recorded event in the audio editor)?

If the problem persists, please provide us with further steps to allow our engineers to reproduce the problem!

Do you use Cubasis 3.4 or 3.4.3?
We recommend upgrading the app to the latest available version.

Thanks,
Lars

I am running 3.4.3, I have just checked.

And no, in the audio editor I only see the 5 minutes. I wonder if there is a temporary space where the full recording might be or if it is a different problem and it actually stopped recording after about 5 minutes.

No idea how to figure that out, though.

Hi @santinelli,

Thank you for your updated message.
Below pleas find a few additional questions from our engineering:

If you see only the 5min file in the audio editor, and the full 2h recording is not in the Trash, then there probably was a different problem and recording stopped after 5min.

Here are a few more questions to further analyse the issue:

1. In the 5min recording, are there any discontinuities? Or does it contain the first 5min of the recording, without interruption?
  2. Did you use an audio interface? If so, which one, and how was it connected to the iOS device?
  3. Which iOS device do you have?
  4. Please send us a screenshot of your audio settings, under Setup / Audio.
  5. Did the issue occur only once, or did it happen again? If it’s reproducible, please update to the latest iOS 16.1 and see if it works then.

Thanks,
Lars

Thanks for the follow up.

1. No discontinuation In the 5 min recording, it’s just the first 5 minutes without interruptions

2. No external audio interface, just the phone

3. iPhone 14 Pro running iOS 16.0.3

4. Here it is

5. It occurred only once so far, but I must also admit that since it happened I am unlocking the phone and checking that it is recording every 20 minutes or so during rehearsals :joy:
    I will update to 16.1 indeed.

Cheers,
Valerio

Hi @santinelli,

Thanks for your feedback, which has been shared with our engineering.

Best,
Lars

Hi @santinelli,

Thanks again for your message!

Is it possible that you’ve recieved a message including a beep which might interrupted the recording process? In this case, could you give it a check if the results are comparable to what you’ve experienced?

Vielleicht bekam er eine message nach 5min, die einen Ton auslöste, der Cubasis unterbrach (was nicht sein dürfte)?

Frag ihn mal, ob er das testen will (Recording starten und jemand soll ihm eine message schicken).

Best,
Lars

@LSlowak I finally managed to reproduce it. I would actually say unfortunately as it happened again during a rehearsal session where we were improvising some stuff and I completely lost that recording :frowning:
But anyway yes, it’s pretty easy to reproduce. This time I had an alarm set and it looks like the alarm that triggered was the culprit.

You can easily reproduce it this way:

• Open Cubasis with a new project and an audio track armed for recording
  • Start recording
  • Switch to iOS alarms app and set an alarm to trigger in one minute (it does not matter if the phone is on silent mode or not)
  • Switch back to Cubasis
  • Wait for the alarm to trigger and then either smooth or stop it
  • If you look at Cubasis it still shows like it is recording and the cursor is moving forward with the usual grey over blue bar.
  • Stop the recording and guess what: the real recording stops right before the alarm was triggered

Do you have any idea how to avoid this apart from not setting up alarms? I have the feeling this could happen even if you receive a message with sounds or if there is an incoming phone call.

I am looking forward for ideas :wink:

Cheers,
Valerio

Hi @santinelli,

Thanks for your message which has been shared with the team.
Please await our feedback.

Best,
Lars

1 Like

Use audio evolution it’s more reliable for what you want

I can’t see how a different app would make any difference. It looks more like an issue with how the OS manages audio and I am pretty sure the engineers from Steinberg are going to find out how to get around it, if at all possible. If it is not possible, then even Audio Evolution will have the exact same issue.

Hi @santinelli,

I can’t see how a different app would make any difference. It looks more like an issue with how the OS manages audio and I am pretty sure the engineers from Steinberg are going to find out how to get around it, if at all possible. If it is not possible, then even Audio Evolution will have the exact same issue.

Please await our reply, which might take a few days (due to the upcoming Easter holidays).

Thanks for your patience,
Lars

Of course I will :wink:
It’s just that I have quite some experience with mobile app development and especially native iOS and it’s pretty natural to try to slice down the issue and figure out the root cause :slight_smile:
I will probably have a look at this over the weekend to see if it’s technically possible to avoid disrupting audio recording while system apps are interfering.

Hi @santinelli again,

Here comes our feedback:
iOS interrupts all other audio sessions when a call, timer or alarm is triggered.

Even GarageBand stops recording in this case.

You may turn the device to airplane mode when recording, to prevent the device from ringing in case of incoming calls. However there is no solution if a timer or alarm is triggered.

We may add a popup in a future update, which informs more clearly if a recording has stopped (in those given cases).

Hope that helps!

Best,
Lars

I had that feeling. You know what would be great? If you could somehow intercept this from the app and automatically stop the recording. That would at least make it obvious that it is no longer recording. And then the user can just restart the recording manually. But at least you are aware of that and can remedy.

I am not sure iOS will provide any signal to the app about the disruption, though

Hi @santinelli,

We plan to add a popup which informs about the issue, and to visualise that the recording has stopped immediately.

Best,
Lars