Try to understad Play mode.

I still don’t understand what would be the sense of the Play mode. If you can’t write midi in Realtime, what would be the advantage of having a Play mode? Not even a sequencer editor. In that kind of situation would be helpful?

Play mode is an area still waiting for expansion, but (among other things) it does (or will) allow you to fine tune such parameters as note length (for a more detached sound) without changing the notation of the change.

I’d love to see Play become a fully featured sequencer where one could work with MIDI just as one would in a DAW.

There’s a lot of discussion on this, if you search through the threads (there’s a very long thread about Integration with Cubase, in particular). The bottom line is that it won’t be a full fledged DAW but it will have plenty of bells and whistles that will allow you a great degree of control over the midi playback, including the ability to choose your own VSTs, to tweak note midi controls, maybe automation, and so on.

Play mode really is for concentrating on the part of your workflow that is concerned with playback, so that all that can be kept out of the way in the other modes. It will have some DAW-like functionality such as the mixer, instrument routing, controller automation, piano roll view, etc, but it’s important to remember that it won’t be pure MIDI because that doesn’t exactly correspond to Dorico’s data model (for instance MIDI says nothing at all about now spelling, beaming, articulations, playing techniques).

Our plan, over time, will be to add more DAW-like functionality, where it makes sense. Or goal is to make Dorico work really well with orchestral sound libraries as we know this is very important for our users.

Play mode in 1.0 was very minimal. In the forthcoming update we’ve done a huge amount on the underlying infrastructure and the ability to play back key switches and controller switches, plus an expression map editor which can import Cubase expression maps (the Dorico format is based on these but is necessarily quite different. We hope that now a lot of the infrastructure is in place, Play mode will rapidly develop. You can currently adjust the start and end offsets of played notes by dragging them, though this isn’t very discoverable at present.

Paul,
Will the upcoming update of the Play mode include the ability to create expression maps for non-Steinberg sound libraries such as Aria/Garritan?

Yes, assuming that this can be done via key switches and controller switches. You will still need to add the Plugin to the whitelist if it’s not VST3 (see other threads on the forum to find out how to do this)

That sounds quite encouraging. It’s really extensive editing and control of MIDI I was thinking of. I find it easier to work with a sophisticated sound library in a sequencer environment (I currently use Ableton Live) so that I can, to some extent, forget about the notation aspect whilst composing and get the most out of the sounds. I’ll come to the notation once the composition or main structure of the piece has been done. Then, I’ll go through it and notate what I’ve done. My wish would be for me to be able to accomplish all of that within the one application.

Hi Derrek,thanks your answere.
This is the point that is more dificult to understand because
If we write the inputing duration in the score mode of the notes will be basically already quantized. So I think the power of the “Play mode” could be the opposite of what it is now, so you can write in edit mode and turn in score. I can’t see utility in being able to edit the notes and not move in the score.

Yhes,thats can be great!

Hi Derrek,thanks your answere.
This is the point that is more dificult to understand because
If we write the inputing duration in the score mode of the notes will be basically already quantized. So I think the power of the “Play mode” could be the opposite of what it is now, so you can write in edit mode and turn in score. I can’t see utility in being able to edit the notes and not move in the score.

Dorico needs urgent an Rewire mode!