Trying for hours...rhythm

So I was trying for hours to convince Dorico to give me a doted quarter tied onto a 64th note from the previous figuration… I had to click in 6 x 16th notes ( over 6 tuplets ) to eventually be able to to get a somewhat decipherable rhythm… no matter how much I tried to push the added note to a different voice or pressed the g for forced rhythm - it refuses to resolve to an understandable simple rhythmic value… sorry for writing this… but really - a doted quartet??? to much to ask? sorry if my manner of expression is a bit harsh.

Hi Ram,
The option you’re looking for is called “force duration”. This can be activated by pressing the letter ‘O’ on the keyboard.

This can be done proactively as you enter notes (then it will put in exactly what you type) or you can select the first note and then press o to make it maintain its value, and then tie additional notes to it.

1 Like

@ First I’d like to thank you for taking the time and reply to my post.
@ 2nd - I’m aware of the G (force duration) function and in this case it wasn’t a source of salvation…
I am forced to divide the total duration into smaller equal rhythmic durations., than change the voice, than tie them 1st and than tie the resulting onto that other other note.
Also - ( a different issue) why does Dorico set to select tuplets notes but not tuplets rhythm? as one selects the (3) notes thinking the 3 was selected as well but…nop… a reselect of the notes AND the 3 is required… this is cumbersome when dealing with textural music…

A picture speaks a thousand words. If you could show a screenshot of the problem, it would make it easier than trying to imagine it.

As for tuplets: I dare say there’s a reason than you can select tuplet symbols separately from their notes. But under what circumstances are you find that Dorico only selects notes?

In the normal run of things: selecting a region by clicking at the start and shift-clicking the end will select tuplets and notes together. As will Select to End of Flow.
If you have a note and a tuplets selected, then Select More will select more of both.

1 Like

Tuplets function like containers into which you can put notes of any duration. This means you can very easily move notes into and out of tuplet “regions” and maintain their appearing duration (i.e. a quarter note inside a tuplet is still a quarter note when outside the tuplet).

As Ben says, it would be great to see some pictures or even a project file so we can see more clearly what your situation is, in order to offer the most useful advice.

When it comes to Force Duration, if you activate this for an existing note, it locks that note as it currently is. So if you had say a dotted eighth that you want to appear as three tied 16ths, you would first need to reduce the duration and then extend it to “pick up” the new durations that you want. E.g. shorten the entire note to the shortest duration you want at the start of the tie chain, force its duration, then extend it. If you wanted three 16th notes tied together, that would be: turn note into 16th, press O, set rhythmic grid to 16th notes, press Shift-Alt/Opt-Right arrow twice (to lengthen the note by a 16th note each press).

1 Like

project attached, this is a work in progress, please do not share.
thanks very much for your willingness.
movement in question is # 3 …

Thanks for sharing that – just fyi, your last reply with the project file is in your public thread. I’ve downloaded the file to take a look (and I now see you’ve removed it from your comment)

Could you clarify a particular bar where the notation isn’t what you want, and also how you would like it to be different? There’s quite a lot going on here.

On a side note, every page in your layout is overridden.

• If you want page numbers centered on every page, edit the Default page template and position the page number text frame accordingly on there (either by moving the text frame or by extending it so it spans the full width of the page but making the page number paragraph style center-aligned so they’re exactly in the middle).

• If you want the title of each flow just to be “I” “II” etc, edit the Default flow heading so it only contains the token for flow numbers, and you can even use the Roman numeral version of that token.

• If you never want to use the First page template (that shows the project title at the top), change this layout option.

• You’ve created a page template for your pre-score information, which is great, but you might want to copy the right page of that template to the left page as well (on your page template, it’s only on the right page, meaning on even-numbered, left-hand pages, nothing will appear). Also be aware that inserting pages that use a page template still go in as page overrides; you might prefer to assign a page template change to the relevant page instead – if there’s no music frame on the page template, your music will automatically be pushed back a page when you assign the page template to p2, for example.

• You’ve dragged a lot of staves around in the first movement. If you want different spacing for this flow only (and therefore don’t want to change your vertical spacing settings for the layout as a whole), perhaps create an alternative page template, based on the Default one, where the music frame is shorter and use that page template on the first movement’s pages only. Here’s some information about margins as well.

1 Like

Just letting you know that I have recieved your comment, I put a flag on my message because I attached the original file of the piece. I am not Beethoven but still… ( enjoying the benefit of a doubt ), so I think my flag request maybe deleted the entire post I am not sure.
As there is a lot to deal with here, I just wanted to say for now that I have received your comment.

1 Like

@Ram_Haimoff I moved your attachment. You can always use direct messaging to send sensitive material.

2 Likes

Ok thanks very much for your help.

So this was my experience trying to create a half note under tuplets and your technique have helped making the process much more efficient., I took the liberty to attach my experience since I was asked to do so, but entering a 16th, revoicing it and pressing shift+ alt + (r)-> was straight forward and fast.
Dorico 4 creating half note under tuplets 1-6.zip (1.2 MB)