Trying out Dorico-create custom ensembles?

I am brand new to Dorico. I write for a Zimbabwean style marimba band-Seven differently named marimbas all with their own ranges, and various custom percussion instruments.

Can I create a custom ensemble for my specific needs? I need to be able to create them and then have my instance of Kontakt play the specific sampled marimbas of our ensemble for each instrument. Thanks for any help!

1 Like

You canā€™t really save your own presets yet, but you can just setup one empty (as far as the actual music goes) project and save it as a jumping board in the future.

I agree with Luisā€™s advice, particularly because if you are going to use specific Kontakt patches, setting up the seven players and assigning the appropriate patches in Kontakt will save time when starting a new project. All you need to do is choose File > Save As to save your current project under a new name, then delete the existing flows in the project, then add a new flow and start writing. All of the existing setup in Play mode will then be retained.

1 Like

Neither of you actually answered his questionā€¦ as a fellow newcomer to Dorico (and music arrangement in general), his questions were RE: setting up a score, custom ensembles, and custom instruments (that arenā€™t part of the base setup or library).

I have similar questions as starting to arrange for a steel drum ensemble, but will try digging into it some more before inevitably bugging the forum with more pointed questions.

(for example, dorico provides a ā€œsteel drumā€ instrument, but steel drum is actually a family of instruments (leads, seconds, tenors, cellos, 6bass, and more, each with specific ranges/voicings/timbres

So, ā€˜custom ensemblesā€™ as in one you can use for ā€˜New from templateā€™ isnā€™t implemented (yet), but is easily worked around using the method described above.

ā€˜Custom instrumentsā€™ is also not implemented (yet), but is possible with more complicated work-arounds, reportedly by importing XML files with custom instruments (have not done this myself) or by editing Doricoā€™s internal instrument definition files (worked in the past, I havenā€™t had success with it since last update). A method for the latter one was described here, but I canā€™t promise it works.

joee, welcome to the forum. Iā€™d be pleased to hear from you about the requirements for steem drum ensembles, and weā€™ll be happy to add more variants for this family of instruments.

I had the pleasure of seeing and hearing the steel drum group Pantonic All Stars in the town of Peel in the Isle of Man a few years ago. From that experience I can definitely appreciate the desire to write for such an ensemble using Dorico. Having different steel drum variants available would be ideal for this.

• I would save the instruments as Multi in Kontakt
  • Save the project after setting all VST and players and notations
  • Zip the file name it: myEnsembleName_template_dorico.zip. This way you donā€™t accidentally override it. Each time you need it you can unzip it.