Trying to "add2" without using "sus2"

Hi there,
I’m trying to create a chord symbol that shows up as “D^2/F#,” with the “^2” meaning a superscript 2. But I’m having trouble finagling Engraving Options > Chord Symbols to get there. I’ve searched on the forum for “add2,” and I’ve seen some results that suggest using “sus2” and showing only the 2. But that doesn’t work, because I want “sus4” chords to show as “sus” only on the baseline, not superscript, and I want the 2 in my “D2/F#” to be superscript. Am I missing some combination of options here? I appreciate any guidance you can provide. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 9.51.48 PM

Hoping the symbol can look like this, just to be clear. This is in Sibelius; needing to figure out how to get it to look like this in Dorico.

Setup “Suspended notes” normally like this:

Go to Chords Symbols/Project Default Appearances/Edit. Enter Dsus2 then hit the +. It doesn’t really matter what root you input, you just need a global way to modify the 2. Click the 2, then the Edit Component pencil underneath. This will take you to the Edit Chord Symbol Component window which will allow you to make global changes to the size and positioning of the 2. In the image below I used 76% and a Y value of 3. Hit ok and verify it looks fine in the Project Default Chord Symbol Appearances window, but don’t make any changes there as they will only be in that specific chord, not global like the Edit Chord Symbol Component window. It should now look like this:

Perfection. Thanks so much Fred!

1 Like

Just curious: If I ever needed to use both a D^2 chord and a Dsus2 chord in the same file — is there a way to modify this, as you explained, without using the Dsus2?

Maybe someone will have other ideas, but there are 2 ways I can think of to do this. One, you can modify any chord in Engrave mode, which will only be that particular occurrence. In the Engrave mode Edit Chord Symbol Appearance dialog box, you can hit the + to add a component and add your “sus” and adjust the 2 positioning there. If you have lots of these to do, another way could be to take a completely unrelated chord symbol that won’t be appearing elsewhere in your project and redefine it to be “sus2” in the Edit Chord Symbol Component window that you used to do the above edit.