Trying to record midi in Cubase Artist 11 from an older Casio keyboard

If there isn’t any active audio device on your computer or an audio interface connected to it and recognizable by Cubase, you won’t get any audio ever with it. So, if you have no dedicated audio interface available, did you check (in the BIOS/UEFI of your system) that the audio chipset of your motherboard is activated, as a workaround ? If so, you should be able, via ASIO4All to get it usable by Cubase, even if it’s certainly not the best way of doing.

Otherwise, you’re out of luck, and it’ll be time to consider purchasing an true audio interface MIDI capable : there are several USB ones perfectly usable by Cubase at a reasonable price, nowadays, and such a device will always be preferable to any onboard soundchip solution…

That is something that I definitely need. Which one is a good one? I’m not really familiar with hardware(?) interfaces. Something like this?USBMIDI

Never heard of this one, so beware. Preferably, I would look for well known interfaces with USB 2.0 connectivity, for compatibility reasons : almost any computer has at least an USB 2.0 port usable - it’s not the case with USB 3.0 or C. From which, just few suggestions :

• Steinberg UR44
  • Behringer UMC404HD
  • MOTU M4
  • NI Komplete Audio 6 MK2
  • Presonus Studio 26c

… among others. And if you can :

• RME Babyface Pro.

List not exhaustive, of course… The essential is that the one chosen should be both audio and MIDI capable, with an ASIO driver : the latter is the only way to make it recognizable by Cubase. After this, it’s all about making careful researchs to choose wisely…

Ok, I will look for some online. Thanks for your time!