Trying to setup an 8 Speaker (Cube) array from Ambisonics

Hi guys!

I’m starting to explore the 3D audio world… I’m exploring several plugins (including, sorry for the redundancy hehe, the already included for binaural monitoring (I’ve donde the 3rd Order Ambisonics Main Bus, Direct Routing every mono or stereo channel there, opening the multipanner on every channel and then the decoder on the Main 3rd Ambisonics Bus. I’ve also tried the DearvrPro as insert and using it’s own binaural decoder then going to a Stereo Bus - somehow this seems to work better and faster and simpler than doing that of the Ambisonics Bus and using the DearVrPro as panner and then tried with both Nuendo and DearVr Decoder… maybe I’m routing or configuring something wrong, correct me if you see any flaw on the routing I mentioned first please-). The problem now is I’m thinking of building (with not so good speakers, maybe some edifiers or something like that) a Cube with 8 speakers (4 below, 4 above) to be able to monitor and listen on real speakers (something is not very “accurate” on binaural headphones … maybe I need a proper HRTF… what I realised DOES INDEED HELP is having for example a Kick on the center -like, inside your head, not on front, although that should work also- so then you a reference, and everything else is easier to locate.). The most important question is I don’t see that the decoders I have can set it up to a Cube array… 2nd Order Ambisonics is 9 channels and I don’t know where are they sent to… I’ve seen the option on Nuendo to set the output to a 5.1.4 but that would be more like an Auro or Atmos… Is there a way to put something on the Master Bus (in this case would be any kind of Ambisonics Bus, since Ambisonics is not a fixed speaker array) and then create there your own array? I saw Spat Revolution does this but it’s too expensive, specially since I’m trying to learn for now… A cheaper option? Something already on Nuendo I’m missing out? It’s actually a very common array for ambisonics for what I’ve seen. Like, the cheapest and less speakers demanding way to actually “create” a “sphere”… I thought a 2nd Order Ambisonics would do this kind of “automatically” (obviously a little tweaking)… I’m baffled with that the most obvious way to simplify a sphere speaker array is getting me scratching my head and surfing all over the net to (not) find and answer hahahaha…

Thanks guys!!!

Ambisonics is a meta-format which needs to get de-coded for listening. Channels aren’t meant to be sent to specific speakers.

… there’s a nice primer:
Ambisonics as an Intermediate Spatial Representation (for VR) | Audiokinetic Blog

1 Like

Hi Dietz!

I don’t mean to be, well… be mean, hahaha… not at all… But I think you didn-t understand my question/struggle…

I quote myself here “(in this case would be any kind of Ambisonics Bus, since Ambisonics is not a fixed speaker array)”…

My question, since I can’t try it because I have to go to a full change of hardware (soundcard, buy speakers, etc) and I live in Argentina where 1 dollar equals like 180 “pesos”, hehehe… so, a lot of planning on selling and buying the adequate hardware (and maybe some software because if IEM plugins doesn’t do the job I think I will have to go to Spat Revolution -the spat ircam solution I believe is not so easy on Nuendo and since I’m a musician Nuendo/Cubase is my Musical Instrument and i love it as deeply as my Ibanez Img 2010, my Ibanez RG550, and -maybe even more specially, my Roli Seaboard Rise 49 and Block and Lightpad Block and all the soft synth I deeply care about, hehehe- so I won’t go to Reaper (although everybody is telling me so… I only will try, if the budget allows, to connect somehow another computer with Ableton Live since I love it too for some things and I would sppeed my workflow in terms on computing power, although I can live without it) I need to know if, for example, the speaker arrangment plugin plus the other who sets how many speakers are in the system take care of the routing to the sound card outputs and sends the right signal to each one (regardless the Ambisonics Order of the Main Bus… Maybe I can use a 3OA Buss and then with IEM plugins sned that to eight different channels although the Bus has 16 channels already assigned to 16 different output channels on the soundcard…). Maybe I would have to buy a soundcard with at least 9 channels (since I understand that with a least a cube array -cuadraphonic down, cuadraphonic up) an approvable 3D spatialization is ok (I would love to have 16 speakers array and a 16 output soundcard… I don’t think I can afford it right know). Sound card do not tend to come with 9 outputs but maybe I could buy one with more outputs and later add speakers… But what I would like to know is if the IEM plugin (or Spat Revolution) takes over the channel output setting on the soundcard or Nuendo still follows the Bus configuration… Am I more clear now? I know maybe it is difficult to understand (I don’t know if I myself understand it actually hahaha). Since I hace a Focusrite 6i6 I cannot test it… I could borrow some amplified monitors and not even place them but check… But my soundcard wouldn’t suffice… I know another "functional"array is a bottom speakear, a top speaker and a front-rear-lef-right on horizontal level speaker… That i could try… But no ambisonics bus has 6 channels… And if I use a 6.0 common sorround setup bus the ambisonics “panning system” which is far more complex than working with just levels on speakers to get to “phantom sources points” (like stereo too) wouldn’t work either…

To get it simpler… I would like to have the most minimal (but truly useful) 3D ambisonics speaker array (not only binaural since binaural is not truly working for me… I know it needs some training and stuff like custom HTRF help but I would love a real speaker system too). What would you reccomend, both hardware, setup and routing, and software? Specially since if I mix there (although I could do this in binaural decoding too) I could more easily maybe doing something live with more speakers for example… or send it to someone who has a 16 or even 64 speaker array…

Thanks!!!