tuplet placing question

Hey all,

See attached - I want to place the triplet in the position indicated in a new voice, but it places it a quaver before.

Any ideas?
Best
Edd

You could try using the scissor tool to cut the tie on one of the notes in that chord, create the triplet and then re-tie it.

It’s ok sorted it - I just typed a semi into the space it wanted to place the triplet, then placed the triplet on the resulting rest afterwards. Now, how to force the dotted quaver instead of tied semi to quaver…

I totally misunderstood the first time. I see what you’re going for. Don’t forget about the “starts/ends voice” in the properties panel. This will get rid of any unwanted rests either before or after you start/end input. As for forcing duration, there is the option to do so while inputting notes. If you hit “O” it will force Dorico to input a single note in whatever note value you choose. If you select the octave “B’s” after your triplet you should be able to hit:
Enter
O
and re-enter your octave and it will display as you like.

As an aside, I would might be inclined to keep the rhythm the way Dorico shows it. Since this is a complicated rhythm, you can tell by the default notation where the notes in the right hand line up with the string of chords in the left. That said, you can force a dotted eight easily enough.

I think you would need to break the beam as well.

Also a good idea.