Tuplet ratio text

Happy Friday y’all!

I wanted to check in with the greater knowledge that is this forum on the following:

1. So far as I’ve gleaned, it’s not possible to edit tuplet ratio text strings - is this correct?

Continuing the above aim, I set the tuplet bracket with no number and created a default text string with my desired ratio stipulated and selected ‘erase background’. This text string correctly ‘erases’ the background over the stave, but not over the tuplet bracket.

1. Is there a particular text setting which does allow erased tuplet brackets behind it?

Thanks in advance!

What kind of ratios are you trying to express?

In this instance, 7:6 quintuplet semi quavers. Metre is 4/8.

Like this?

I’m aware of the various options/functions for how the tuplets can be displayed. My query is more about whether that display (specifically the text string itself) can be edited or convincingly faked.

This is a skeleton of the rhythmic pattern in question. I’ve input this into Dorico in a number of ways and each has its own set of pros/cons. [For the sake of clarity, this sample is not Dorico.]

The most simple and elegant method is to first do a tuplet of 5:6 crochets across the three bars, and then the 7s within this. This yields the correct rhythms (ie, 7 septuplets for every 1.2 crochets), together with barlines lining up and whatnot and a simple metre statement. I then hide the primary tuplet (the 5 which spans 3 bars). Rhythmically this is the same as the 7:6-5s shown in my example above.

The ‘snag’ is that the secondary tuplet layer (the 7s) is subdividing the primary tuplet layer’s new crochet, which means that Dorico thinks (correctly, in fairness) that the secondary 7s are 7:4. So opting to display the ratio is not a go-er in this case. If I were able to just keep the notation exactly as it currently is in Dorico, but with a 7:6 ratio instead of 7:4 - that would be problem solved.

As mentioned above, however, the obvious workaround (an individual text string with a ‘erased’ background) doesn’t seem to work over tuplet brackets. Indeed, I would be curious to know how more experienced Dorico users would input the lowest stave in the example above.

Thank you for the image. As I’m sure you are aware, this provides information not available in your original question. With the additional information, I’m sure more people will be able to chime in with solutions–or at least suggestions.

Try making a longer hidden tuplet like 10:12 or 15:18 in the lower voice (there is an option to allow tuplets span bar lines) and then nest your 7:6 tuplets inside it.

Thanks Rob, that’s more or less the solution. A 30:24 over the three bars yields the same rhythmic result as 5:6 crochets, but this way Dorico is happy to do 7 in the time of 6 quintuplets (instead of 7 in the time of a crochet - 7:4 - as mentioned above).

It’s all about working out/learning how Dorico understands these things and consequentially how best to input it. Thanks again!