Tuplets Across Multiple Kits Instruments

Hey everyone! New user here!

I’m working on a transcription, and I would like to notate a quadruplet where the four notes would be: snare, kick, tom 1, and tom 2.

I’m running into a frustrating issue where Dorico automatically creates a new voice when I try to input the kick drum note on the selected eighth rest within the tuplet. It does this despite me having all of the “instruments” of the drum kit selected as the same voice.

Here’s a link to a video on Dropbox that illustrates the issue. At the end, I try to make the kick drum note the same voice as the snare, but that doesn’t work either! Dropbox - Dorico Percussion Tuplet Issue.mp4 - Simplify your life
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum, PianoMan7, and thanks for buying Dorico. This can be a tricky issue: if you want all of the instruments to share the same tuplet, make sure that in the Edit Percussion Kit dialog you have all of the instruments in the same voice.

Hi Daniel! Thank you very much for your warm welcome! It’s great to hear from the one of the big names at Steinberg! I have managed to find a solution, but I’m not sure why it works! If you could explain why, that would be great!

I already had all of the instruments in the ‘Edit Percussion Kit’ dialog box set to voice 1. I managed to find out that creating a tuplet from rests allows me to create a tuplet across multiple percussion staves! Yahoo!

Here’s a link to a video of the solution: Dropbox - Dorico Percussion Tuplet Solution.mp4 - Simplify your life

You say Voice 1, but you don’t say whether the stems were all pointing up or down in the Edit Percussion Kit dialog. Upstem Voice 1 is an entirely different voice to Downstem Voice 1. My suspicion is that your Kick drum has its stem pointing down, by default.

Yes, agreed, that seems plausible to me. Up-stem and down-stem voices are both numbered from 1, so you will have both up-stem voice 1 and down-stem voice 1 at the same time.