Tuplets...

I know you don’t want to hear again about this… but it’s driving me crazy.
Here here is one of the many problems I run into with Dorico’s way to represent tuplets in it’s data model.

(And only sometimes I take the time and make screenshots; there are more examples…)

In the first jpg you can see, that everything was neatly selected: notes and the silly metastructure used to indicate that there are somehow tuplets involved …

tuplet-chaos-once-again-before.jpg
And here is what comes out with

• Strg-C,
  • Edit / Special Insert / Insert into voice / Insert into voice 1 stems up.
    tuplet-chaos-once-again-and-what-you-get.jpg
    Should not happen. What a chaos!

The way tuplets are realized in Dorico is really creating a lot of problems and the need for workaround features, which in this case not even worked….
And I cannot imagine how there will ever be a reliable auto-condense killing feature with this (i.e. showing in engrave mode two or even more single players in a single stave in voices or chords … what will happen when someone hides redundant tuplet numbers… Dorico will loose track… )

If I have some notes in chords (in one voice) decorated with staccato dots and filter for the lowest note and then press delete - the dots (selected with the notes) remain (or course, because it is a property of every note in the chord) with the remaining notes, they are not removed - but with tuplets, when the tuplet is selected with the filter selection and the selected notes are deleted, the tuplet is removed from the remaining notes “because it was selected” (!!!???), destroying their rhythmic structure.
That is weird and not logical at all and against the copy-paste-contract and against every intuition. Because beeing a tuplet is as much property of a note as a staccato dot, if not even more! But Dorico puts it in a (hidable!) metastructure, obviously difficult to hande.

Bwt. tied notes could be represented by a special slur, if that’s it what stands in the way of tuplet as note properties.

View > Signposts > Tuplets.

Dorico still knows they are there :slight_smile:

What you’re experiencing in this example is simply a bug in the copy and paste code, and doesn’t represent the kind of fundamental problem that you think it does. I’m sorry that this bug exists, and we will endeavour to fix it in a future version of the software, but there isn’t anything wrong with the fundamental design of how Dorico represents tuplets.