Turn off auto correcting during note entry

Dorico is not a purely graphic software. The notes are semantic.

No, that’s not fair at all. :wink:
I use it primary for composing and arranging.

Sounds like my composing process does not fit the software.

I’m not convinced of that. I think you’re just making a few small user errors regarding
note entry. Dorico is quite flexible regarding moving, changing, and inserting notes. And flows are a perfect way to make small snippets of musical ideas.

That’s an interesting point because when it comes to audio and video editing, I find it a drag that programs like Premiere have been developed to emulate the process of a video tape and film editing room and don’t fully exploit the capabilities of digital. Premiere still uses key frames which is a physical film editing step. It makes little sense and this isn’t the right forum to go down that rabbit hole suffice it to say when it comes to music notation, I seem to be the luddite by wanting a program that is essentially the digital form of staff paper.

1 Like

If your ideas are still ‘fluid’, does it matter if Dorico represents a note as dotted or tied at this stage? Surely that’s something you sort out later, once you’ve developed the meter and rhythm?

The beauty of Dorico is that when you frame your notes into a particular metre, it will ‘spell’ the notes rhythmically to fit.

1 Like

I see your point. Not sure I can get used to the appearance being changed. I find it distracting, like the font of a word you just wrote being changed as you write the next word.

Also, keep in mind in my screen shot example Dorico changed a quarter note to an eighth. I realize from some of the replies that although I chose a quarter note, the software also requires I place it in an exact place on the timeline in order to maintain that duration.

I really appreciate the responses and helping me to understand more quickly how Dorico operates. Some of us are PC fans and some are Mac. Some Android and others IOS. And so on. I’ll give Dorico a little more run through during my trial phase and try some other notation programs. Obviously, I’m a novice. In other kinds of applications where I’m a super user/expert, I accept the limitations and don’t really think about them all that much. So, I also appreciate your pateince.

This just doesn’t make sense…Dorico does exactly what you want, so it must be user error. I’m using Dorico Pro but I expect it’s the same with Elements. Start a new project without inputting a time signature…Set the rhythmic grid to say 1/8th notes and start inputting notes. There’s absolutely no reason why Dorico should change any duration if there is no time signature. I just tried it and I did not use force duration:

Once you have something, you can drop into the middle of any passage to add or extent some new notes, but at this point, you will need to use insert mode, otherwise Dorico will overwrite.

It’s not uncommon for experts to not understand the needs/challenges of new users. And by that I mean, you see the right way to do it, I’m approaching this with a wide open use case. Perhaps try replicating what I did as explained above.

jloslo,

you entered this forum with heaps of extremely helpful Dorico users, from the beginner to the real expert and even the developers of the Software.
We will not easily give up trying to help you… :wink:

To me it seems, you are trying in a too clever way; try to forget everything, try to start as a „dumb beginner“ (if I am allowed to say so).
If you would be so kind to upload an example, a simple line of a sketch you’d like to realise.
A picture with your smartphone would be fine.

Have you tried inputting your notes without inputting a time signature first?
Try: N (for Note Input), then just with your keyboard input notes of any value and pitch.
Do you get, what you desire?
Now: if you want to change one of the notes by pitch: select them and move them with the Alt/Option key plus the arrow keys, easy…
Or: if you like everything but the length of one specific note: I (for Insert Mode), select that note, change it’s value, that’s it.

1 Like

@smoothdusk

How are you entering pitches? MIDI keyboard? The “typewriter” keyboard? The mouse?
Are you using a Mac or a PC (and what Operating System and version).

Knowing this might help us give you better advice.

dear jloslo, have you had a look at Grainger2001 in his answer to you? Doesn’t it look, as if he managed to get exactly what you expected to get?

I was able to reproduce the problem that the OP is having. He is apparently using the mouse to place notes.

When you do this, you need to be precise where you click the mouse both vertically (for pitch) and horizontally (for time). When you are in input mode there is a long orange vertical line. You need to point the mouse so that the shadow notehead is just to the right of the vertical line. If you click when the shadow notehead is to the left of the vertical line then you’ll get the issues noted in the original post.

3 Likes

https://www.opusonemusic.net/NoteAbility/

1 Like

…which is what I already suspected. To draw the analogy to the use of traditional paper: if you write notes more or less on top of each other, what does it mean? Is it a chord? Is it an arpeggio? Is it meant to erase what’s underneath? Is it an undecided variation? Or is it just a mistake? You may be sketching, but if it’s illegible, it’s a waste of effort.
Notation software is necessarily aware of the rhythms being written, in order to, well, notate the music correctly. In Dorico, the use of the mouse for input is not ideal. You’ll have to be careful where you click.

2 Likes

Therein you nailed it, the answer I needed to understand what’s happening.

Hello @PjotrB
I had the same problem with the ending of a song. I was determined to write the notes exactly as I wanted them and still be able to change them later.

Somewhere I discovered that a time signature of “X” is the same as no time signature at all.

I used shift T and entered X in the pop-up box. The I entered notes that approximated what I imagined.

I had to play around with force duration to retain the things I wanted to keep. Even managed to get some fancy chord durations using simple chords.

To set a time signature (even an unlimited one) would be SHIFT + M rather than SHIFT + T.

You’re right. I forgot. Sorry.all.

I did use SHIFT M and I was able to write the way I wanted for the ending.

1 Like