TUTORIAL: OTB Summing, how to?!?

Thank you very much for sharing this really helpful information.

I’m also summing OTB. Using Cubase since just a few months ago…

These last days, I was trying to improve my workflow to have the best routing and how to put audiomixdown files before going into the analog domain.

It´s really interesting your approach. It´s different to mine…, but probably smarter!!!

I’ve prepared some schematics to explain how my template is right now… (see attached)

But what I dont like at all, is that I need to route my audiomixdown files to each of my interface’s output every time I’m preparing the final Print.

I’ve been reading several times your instructions and I think I understood your “trick”.

What is not clear to me is the part of the freezing capabilities, and the external Instrument or FX channel creation.

If we want to have a freeze option to “print” the external, summing mix, I asume we should use an External Instrument with its input as the output of the external summing box.

As you declare here:
“Now define an additional External instrument called “SUM” and ONLY connect the return here, which should be the main mix out from your summing device.”

But then you suggested to create a FX channel using the insert of the instrument??
“Now create an FX channel and put the External FX called “SUM” in the top slot and route it’s output to MAIN MIX (Enter your external FX delay compensation only here nowhere else!)”

I’ve attached a diagram of what understood from your detailed info. Please, I’d really appreciate if you could take a look of it and tell me what´s not ok.

Thanks!!!

An external fx has an input (return) and an output (send)
On the group channels you only connect the sends
On the main you only connect the return
You define as many external fx with sends only, as you have group channels / summing inputs

Thanks for your answer, but it’s still not fully clear for me :frowning:

I create 12 external fx (as I own a 24 channel summing box), indicating only the send channels (not input). That’s clear
I also create 12 groups, inserting in each of the groups the external fx of the specific channel in the POST inserts area. Right?

And now, I create an external instrument track, indicating as input channels to the ones that are receiving the summing mix from the analog domain. And as output of this channel, I assign the main mix output. Right? And becouse of this I’d be able to freeze this track and have the printed version of the analog summing.

If these steps are correct, what I didn’t understand is where are the sends from the groups connected to… :frowning:

I really appreciate your help…
Thanks a lot

You can either go the inserts route
Or the sends to output route 2 different ways to reach the same goal

Hi Raphie,

I was doing a test today. I’d like to add an “External instrument”, defining its input with the channels that come from the external summing. I add it to the project and it´s receiving data as it’s supposed, but when I click on freeze button its says that "Instrument is not connected.Freeze is not possible " .
Do you know why is not working or what I need to add?

Thanks a lot

Hi, no freeze doesn’t work in that scenario, it’s live audio, so you need work realtime.

I’ve made a new video regarding external summing, this one is based on my SSL Sigma

Thanks for your routing explanation, Raphie! I just setup a Sigma and have watched all your videos as well. I’m using this method only I created output channels routed to nowhere and put the output “external effects” inserts on those output channels. This allows me to route multiple channels to one “Sigma bus” using sends, all internal FX channels for example.

The only issue I’m having is lack of delay compensation on the master bus inserts. I’d still like to use Ozone and a few others on the master buss and these add large amounts of latency that is not accounted for. Any ideas?

Thanks!