Tutorial: Routing VSTi back into an audio track

my personal feature request:

we need a better mixer with → free routings (!)

Just to add on how to record a VSTi output in Cubase in realtime, here is another way to do it.
Note that you can choose any group as input of an audio track:

1. Create stereo group, let’s call it “summing bus”
  2. Create stereo audio track, let’s call it “record from summing bus”
  3. As input for the audio track chose the group called “summing bus”
  4. Route or send the VSTi or anything you would like to record to the group.
  5. Record the audio on the “record from summing bus” audio track

Gr,
JHP

Not to me. That’s two tracks of audio, where I could have 1. Also, the VST connection way makes it easier to send the same VSTi out to multiple audio tracks. It also makes it easier to have multiple sources feed a single audio track. The group track is the work around for those that don’t know how the VST connections work.

I don’t know what the mixer has to do with it. Also, free routing won’t solve the problem either. This is an issue where a VSTi output is actually at the end of the connection chain internally. So the output goes directly to a VST Connection. Other applications like Reaper expose the re-mapping option I outlined in an easier way for some usages. However, once you understand the flow, creating your own VST Connections is a better paradigm. Although, I hate the pop-up windows and modal dialogs used for that interface. Talk about 1985.

You can find a little video tutorial of routing a VSTi to audio in Cubase at http://www.youtube.com/clubcubase#p/u/27/_6ClrrTr0uc

All the best,

Greg

Here is another tutorial video on internal summing that was posted in a separate thread.

I think this feature was added during the Cubase 4 cycle.

steinbergusers.com (Internal summing)

Dave

Thanks JM, good stuff! See the PM I sent!

Cheers

Great!

Thanks so much for this.

Will this also work in Cubase Essential 4?

No

Thanks!

Yeah, I just went ahead to try it, and I saw that I can’t select any other input source and a ‘real’ input in Cubase ES 4.

So, I guess, here my only way of doing this is to export the VSTi track as an audio (WAV) and re-import it to an audio track?
Is that correct?

Lars