tutorial videos

Are there plans for Dorico tutorial videos, maybe a Dorico Youtube channel, howsabout?

Thanks,
S.

To add a bit to Seth’s question, will it be possible to view the Dorico online manual without purchasing the software or downloading the trial version?

There is already a Dorico YouTube channel, and it will indeed have some tutorials on it come Wednesday, plus we intend to release short “quick tips” videos (similar to the ones that we already do for Cubase) every week or two once we get into the swing of things. You can subscribe to the Dorico YouTube channel here.

You will also be able to read the Dorico documentation from Wednesday at the site steinberg.help, but if you try to go to that URL ahead of Wednesday you will get an error, because the site is not yet live.

Do you upload the “Live stream the Dorico launch event” to youtube channel?

triangle

EDIT:
Sorry, in Youtube Channel http://news.steinberg.net/go/1/1W6Y01QO-1VY39MUZ-1VYFC27G-1A1X3BR.html?etcc_rid=XBDDO9K-1S2PLN&etcc_mid=147905754875&etcc_med=NLR&etcc_cmp=Info&etcc_ctv=B2C+Dorico+Live+Stream+Event&etcc_var=147905754875&pad=Dorico&rgn=EU-US-RoW&lan=EN-DE
you wrote “The event will be streamed live on Facebook and YouTube,
=> and available to watch after the event as well.

Just noticed that seven short tutorials are posted on Steinberg.net. Sweet!

Thanks Daniel, this is helpful.

Just one minor point of critique: can you pls. tell your picture editor to not change the camera view every two seconds, going from closeups to your face looking at the camera on camera / side view / close up of hands / keyboard / screen / focusing back and forth between the computer screen and your face, etc., etc., etc.

I mean, you’re a beautiful man, and we all love you, but it’s just a little too much — I am having a hard time digesting all the information already. No need to do a Jason Bourne and go all out Hollywood. They’re just introduction tutorials for an engraving program. :laughing: :laughing:

LOL Peter :laughing:

It’s fantastic how much is squeezed into seven short videos. When a program design is so coherent, it’s probably fairly easy to teach it.

I’m glad you like the tutorial videos. It was a pretty exhausting couple of days in Hamburg putting them together about six weeks ago, but hopefully they serve as a useful introduction to the program’s functionality.

They are here: http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/dorico/resources.html

I go with Peter Roos. Maybe, every feature of dorico is shown in the videos, but it would be very much easier to learn, if the camera is not to busy.
I’m using Cubase and have now my first Project with Dorico finished :smiley:. It costs me a lot of time, cause You have to think in an other way. But when I went on, I more and more liked the Programm. Better made videos may have shorten this time, to understand, how Dorico works.

+1

No disrespect to the tremendous efforts of the Dorico team overall, but IMO these qualities make the videos all but unwatchable.

Please keep them simple - like Daniel’s old Sibelius tutorials (or Lynda.com software tutorials, which in my experience are very well done).

• The duration of the opening could easily be cut in half (5 sec or less). Please just show the title and move on. I find the opening music and graphics distracting. When looking for answers during a Dorico learning session, I want to get to the content ASAP, and I don’t want to hear music other than what I’m entering in Dorico unless it’s part of the tutorial content.

• Use screen capture for everything else. Shots of the instructor (and any other B-roll) are unnecessary and distracting. Screen capture is simpler too - no need for a camera operator or lighting.

My $0.02.

After watching this videos, may I respectfully suggest, please, that they are far from ‘all but unwatchable’?

Yes, there is a fair amount of cutting - but it’s really not intrusive.

It’s likely that someone watching them to get started will want to pause and maybe jot down instructions anyway.

The substance is simply- and well-presented, the screens are readable and the chunks of info not at all difficult to follow.

Thanks, Daniel and crew :slight_smile:

You’re certainly welcome to your opinion. I disagree. It may not matter to you, but the overwhelming majority of high-quality software training videos use the format I described.

bobk,

Thanks; Yes - I agree about the length of the opening; but when you’re demonstrating a new piece of music software, its 12 seconds (6% or so) to set the tone is no sin, is it?

Seeing Daniel shows we’re in good hands.

I like the Lynda tutorials very much too.

Agree about seeing only the screen under normal circs. But this product is hardly ‘normal’.

For what they are - in the conditions under which they were produced and the imagined breadth of audience - they’re quite watchable (for me!)

:slight_smile:

I’d rather see more info videos sooner even in the current format rather than worrying too much about waiting for something to meet the highest possible professional standards. If Steinberg can make the format more informative, great.

agreed Derrek. While I do concede the point about the flashiness of the video production getting in the way of clarity, it isn’t (to me) as bad as I expected from reading the first critiques on here. I guess a multimedia corporation needs to go with the flavour of the day, in terms of cinematography. so we had that coming.

Certain points are indeed obscured by the film editing (such as how does Daniel call up the graphic he has just set up for pasting, in engrave mode) but nothing a frame-by-frame review can’t detect, after a few tries. It makes it all the more important to watch these videos with Dorico open, re-enacting all critical command sequences in mid-watch. The bundle of clips makes for a pretty good tour d’horizon, also because a lot of rationale for the coding is given (bundling related keyboard commands on one side of the keyboard)

Hi Daniel,
I’ve watched through all the Dorico videos on youtube, and they’re ok as far as they go. But let’s be real. These are promotional videos. They showcase the features for the purpose of sales, all completely necessary and fine. But I was talking about tutorial videos, that seek to teach for the purpose of supporting existing users in learning the program. It’s perhaps early days for you to be worrying too much about that side of things. Us on the bleeding edge will stumble around and figure things out regardless. But I do hope that there’s a budget line item somewhere for the real tutorials which will be necessary to support users as word of mouth becomes your best selling tool.
One suggestion would be to authorize a dozen experienced and enthusiastic users to make them. This would be a way to keep that budget line item small and still get out a bunch of fairly reasonable videos.
Just saying,
Seth

We will be releasing more videos on the YouTube channel starting very soon, including a series of quick tips videos designed to help you accomplish simple tasks. These videos will be very focused, no more than a couple of minutes, and completely focused on the software (most likely done entirely as screen capture). Please subscribe to the Dorico YouTube channel to be sure of getting notifications about these videos being made available. We plan to upload one or two per week once we get into the swing of things.