Tutorials?

Hello,

I wonder whether there are any plans to create tutorials (in a similar vein to the Sibelius tutorials) for Dorico? This question is, obviously, not for myself - I have switched to Dorico entirely and I am super comfortable with all functions, and I am faster working in it than I ever was in Sibelius.

However, when I was learning Sibelius for the first time (after moving from Finale), I was able to go through the Sibelius help files and follow the included tutorial series to learn the software. This involved engraving certain passages and making certain changes to passages that were already partially engraved. When moving to Dorico, instead of similar tutorials, I dutifully watched a few hundred YouTube videos that, while helpful, forced me to listen to “Hi, I’m Anthony Hughes, and in this video” innumerable times in a row. Furthermore, although they provided invaluable information, they did not actually give me specific tasks to practice in the program like the Sibelius tutorials did (such as engraving a certain passage of music), and so it was hard to retain what I learned from those.

I do think it would be enormously helpful for all new users of Dorico to have access to tutorials similar to the Sibelius tutorials, even if they do not decide to make use of them. I also feel that comprehensive tutorials like this could easily become a selling point of the program. I hope that you are considering expanding this in the future.

1 Like

Yes, we do plan to create a set of project-based tutorials for Dorico that will be included in the Dorico Operation Manual. At the moment Lillie is still playing catch-up on the new functionality we’ve been adding to the software, so her priority is still to ensure that the Operation Manual adequately describes all existing features of the software, but once that is done, the plan is to work on those kinds of tutorials.

2 Likes

This is awesome news! I would love to see some tutorials like this.

2 Likes

Hello,
I wonder whether there are any plans to create tutorials (in a similar vein to the Sibelius tutorials) for Dorico? This question is, obviously, not for myself - I have switched to Dorico entirely and I am super comfortable with all functions, and I am faster working in it than I ever was in Sibelius.
However, when I was learning Sibelius for the first time (after moving from Finale), I was able to go through the Sibelius help files and follow the included tutorial series to learn the software. This involved engraving certain passages and making certain changes to passages that were already partially engraved. When moving to Dorico, instead of similar tutorials, I dutifully watched a few hundred YouTube videos that, while helpful, forced me to listen to “Hi, I’m Anthony Hughes, and in this video” innumerable times in a row. Furthermore, although they provided invaluable information, they did not actually give me specific tasks to practice in the program like the Sibelius tutorials did (such as engraving a certain passage of music), and so it was hard to retain what I learned from those.I do think it would be enormously helpful for all new users of Dorico to have access to tutorials similar to the Sibelius tutorials, even if they do not decide to make use of them. I also feel that comprehensive tutorials like this could easily become a selling point of the program. I hope that you are considering expanding this in the future.

Dorico tutorials would be a nice enhancement and I am on your side. I am really looking forward to read some of these tutorials and follow along. The question just is, when will they be available?

Not sure, but are these the sort of things you are looking for (on behalf of others) or were you looking for a more ordered sequence of info and related projects?

https://blog.dorico.com/tutorials/

John Barron’s “Getting started with Note Input in Dorico” is a pretty good introductory tutorial as a downloadable PDF, at least for duration-first input:

1 Like