Two bugs on VST connect Pro?

Hi, while I’m trying to get sample accurate audio from client side, as posted before, I found these possible bugs:

1. Talkback mute function during playback and recording gets corrupted and doesn’t work, leaving the TB in MUTE.
    Workaround, go to preferences and select talback mode as desired AGAIN AFTER a VST connect pro is launched.

2. Changing ASIO device and/or latency on client side stop Audio stream most of the times.
    Workaround, close session and open it again.

I made those test with 3 different clients all over the world and via LAN on another computer in my studio.

The more I try to make this thing work, the worst it gets.
Not PRO at all.

Roberto Priori

do not be surprised if SB changes your words from BUGs to Issues … they did this with me … before my post was Published … not sure why they are not doing it to you …

that said, i am in the same boat as yourself … not been able to get this working for months now … been asking for support in the US but nothing yet … very frustrating …

are you on the latest version of VST ?? i have been trying to find other users to troubleshoot on our own … michael spork and i have emails but me being in the states and him in germany makes for NO realtime support … i have been asking for US support info but nothing has been sent my way (but i know it exists - as one SB person has posted it but then cannot tell me even via PM’s - this is crazy why i cannot get help) … this software ONLY works under Perfect conditions …

happy yo connect with you and try … my clients will not anymore … i have tried with them a dozen times or more with different version but i cannot get any stability … it even has issues across my LAN …

like you say not very PRo … but a brilliant idea that needs more work …

john

Hey John,

the idea of getting in touch and try to get a session together is great!
Next week I’ll be in the studio most of the time alone so able to get in touch with you.
I’m in europe so my time is +6 compared to NYC or +9 to LA. maybe in the morning your time we could.
Let me know

Roberto

We’ll look into these specific items.
a) I guess this could be because of VST Connect automatic mute when PB is engaged, which you override with the Rehearse button. But we’ll look into it again, the preference should not make a difference as to when it is beeing activated.
b) sure changing ASIO Device will stop audio which is to be expected. It should pick up again then of course. Will try to reproduce. To be honest, I would never even think about doing this if this is a serious production, but of course it should just work.

If that comment is based on those 2 bugs only, and considering there are workarounds and b) is not what one should do, I could live with that. But again, we always try to improve so if there are more hints as to why you come to that conclusion, we are happy to help. Your report certainly does help, as it gives us detailed hints where to search for the problems you mention, so thank you for that and keep going :slight_smile:

I’m kind of used to workarounds, infact I found out if you turn off from any preferences of the Talkback button, It works in VST Connect Pro as it should. To be honest my main concern is that I tried with three different persons around the globe and I was not able to get sample accurate audio from the other side. There must be something wrong somewhere, maybe it’s my setup.
Sure I tried every suggestion found here and in the manual before writing it here, as in my previous post.
In this moment is not usable for me, that’s all.

By the way, I’m working often with a producer on the other side odf the ocean, we use skype and he’s monitoring the session from there. (mainly for lyrics and proniciation) . It would be cool to make the Studio Pass app for desktop and use it for that kind of works. Right now I’m sending the out from Cubase and the live feed into Skype and it works great but the audio quality of VST Connect Pro is much superior.
Also, is it possible to work with different songs/projects without changing login number everytime?

Sorry for the long post and thanks

Roberto

As recording sample accurately is what VST Connect is supposed to do, we’d like to learn more details about your situation. We always suggest to rule out problems by creating an empty project, apply “Create VST Connect” and then connect and record. It should all work right out of the box.
You may have plugins with inherent latency somewhere in the mixer or Control Room?

Couldn’t you use just the Performer app for that?

Sorry no, every connection requires a new login.

“We always suggest to rule out problems by creating an empty project, apply “Create VST Connect” and then connect and record. It should all work right out of the box.
You may have plugins with inherent latency somewhere in the mixer or Control Room?”

so, this could be an issue … i have not heard this before … thx for sharing … this means no quickly overdubbing a part using VST as a big session would need to have too many things turned off that might interfere - in this scenario we would need to create a track(s)- (stereo mix or stems) ready to go in case there are issues with your on going working session … the headphone mix for the talent being very important this takes some options away as a stereo mix or stems could be limiting for the HP mix …

john

As recording sample accurately is what VST Connect is supposed to do, we’d like to learn more details about your situation. We always suggest to rule out problems by creating an empty project, apply “Create VST Connect” and then connect and record. It should all work right out of the box.
You may have plugins with inherent latency somewhere in the mixer or Control Room?

Yes I started with a new project, only a single mixdown track to keep it simple, no plugs but yes I have one in the control room I forgot it was there… isn’t it latecy compensated by the way?

I’ll try again without ANY plugin and report back

Plugins with latency in the Control Room (or some other places) might well cause problems with syncing. I seem to recall it was mentioned in the manual. VST Connect sends playback ahead of time to the Performer and compensates for the remote delay. If other plugs with delay are in either path (cue send, return from Performer, or monitoring Performer) this certainly breaks synchronisation.

sadly, i have given up on this software (i wasted My money) … hope you guys have better luck … i had an email with developers and US support but they never replied to me after last email … this might get censored … i am not bad mouthing this software - it just does not work for me … i will keep it in case it gets worked out in the future … 12 sessions and no love … clients say No Way are we trying this again … all things were as correct as i could make them and still no joy … cheers john

We are here to solve your problems and so far, unless a very basic problem such as a non-functioning internet connection fails, we made it work. The main problem is that users become nerveous and try a thousand things only to make it worse. We keep repeating that you should first make sure that the basic operation works by starting with an empty (!) project, apply menu Project/VST Connect/Create VST Connect and see if that works. If the Control Room is not messed up (menu Devices/VST Connections/Studio Tab), and there is a functioning internet connection, and VST Connect settings weren`t set entirely wrong, it has always worked. You may also try to delete VST Connect preferences (on Windows, this is users//appdata/roaming/steinberg/vst connect xxx.ini where xxx denotes the version PRO and SE).

“We are here to solve your problems” who is the we, if i may i respectfully ask ?? users or are you with SB ??

These are My experiences … i speak for no on else …

i have tried with empty projects yes …

“users become nerveous and try a thousand things only to make it worse” … there really are not that many things to try and as far as nervous … well, setting up a session never made me nervous as you say, just frustrated after a few tries with no success … i work in Live television so i eat pressure for breakfast lunch and dinner :wink: :wink:

“You may also try to delete VST Connect preferences (on Windows” i am on a mac so just a different destination for the files … thank you, i will try that …

here is a couple things that will help understand my frustration … hopefully this will be seen and not censored … i hope not because this is what happened …

1. i was able after 3 months and many emails to get SB to connect with me via USA support (yamaha) … i was setup with a Tech that i had dealt with when i had nuendo a couple years back … but now no contact at all … Crickets as they say … so i must have frustrated them or they think i am not capable of using the software … even though i can get it to work inconsistently …

2. My Tech call - we connected via VST BUT the Tech did not have a microphone … so i had to listen to him through my phone

3. he had a slow internet connection so his video was locked in a still pic 98% of the time but we did not lose connection …

4. he recorded some audio of mine and said it was fine BUT on my end it was lower in level that what i feel i was sending out when he played it back …

5. i sent email to all parties involved to let them know that the Tech should have a fully working system to help Support his position of Tech Support … i never received a reply … re-sent email … never heard reply … this was 2 months ago …

6. the only 2 times i had any success was testing with friends in Los Angeles … when trying with anyone out of the state (client in colorado) it was a tough road …

7. the successful times i tried midi recording and that worked and audio once …

8. BUT when recording audio using PRO - i had 4 files in my bin to download (send high res files to me) i only received one of the 4 files … never resolved this … lost 3 takes …

9. control room was not being used and there were no other plugins in these session … clean sessions …

10. what i find is that this cannot be used in any working session due to plugins causing issues … whether on a channel or control room … so as you say it has to be a clean session …

11. has anyone noticed that even if you have PRO version installed that the SE version is turned on and conflicts with PRo (even in clean session) … so i would have to disengage SE before trying to use PRo … hopefully this is repaired soon … and could be in the last update of CP8 - i have not installed it yet as i have been back in PT12 for work and have not touched CP8 in a bit …

12. off-topic but related - CP8 frustration (from a PT user) is mixer undo as i accidentally destroyed a Mix and caused a LOUD blast of sounds as all tracks shot up … i had moved my mouse wheel and it was over a fader … that mix was gone as no way to restore it … sure could use Mixer Undo (this has been mentioned already in a few threads so not beating a dead horse)

13. skipping due to superstition - have to keep my sense of humor :wink::wink:

14. These are MY experiences … i do not expect others to have the same … most will be good some may not …

15. as i say i am not bad mouthing this great piece of software … just wish it worked better for ME … looking forward to it working for ME someday …

i really appreciate everyone chiming in to help … and will try and test with Pristudio one day … thx for that offer …

i do hope this makes it through in it’s entirety as it is what happened …

i bought PRO june 11, 2015 and tried the PRO version for a couple months - SB gave me an extended teat period … i figured after this i was in good hands and could solve MY issues quickly … after the trial period ended i took the chance and purchased the PRo version …

one day maybe i will have better success, just been working and have not had time to test further … but will have time very soon

thx again for your advice - it has not allen on Deaf Ears …

cheers john

We are developers. I’m sorry, for your problems with customer support, all we (developers) can do is to try to help here best we can, so I will try to reply to all other remarks of yours.

The signal is recorded unchanged from the source. However with the PRO version, there is a record gain for each channel.

Distance should be of no concern. When recording someone very remote you may want to increase Remote Latency setting so to avoid dropouts. We recorded US often from here (Europe) w/o problems.

You or the Performer probably quit before transmission was complete. Because video and audio are still running, transmission may be slow (we are working on improving). For this, there is the “Get Local HD files” which you can point to a folder that you have received from the performer in any way you like (FTP, WeTransfer, Dropbox or whatever). So nothing is ever lost unless the performer deletes it on his local machine.

That’s not what I said. You can use any plugins unless they interfere with the remote latency compensation. Most plugins have no inherent latency at all, those are no problem anyways. Other plugs only get in the way if they are within the connection cycle (what you send, in the VST Performer Cue path, or VST Connect Input channel). Those are the very few cases where plugs can cause problems.

What you mean “SE is turned on” - unless you deliberately activate whichever VST Connect plugin, it will not do anything at all.

:slight_smile:
12 is off topic but…been there :slight_smile:

Whenever we find the cause for a problem we can make it better so thanks for your help and constructive critisism.

hi musi, thx for the clarity on your position …

something was odd with that tech call for sure … not sure why the audio came back lower …

distance … thats what i thought … i did try the buffer but it was probably something on the other end that i had no control over at the time … internet slow down or something …

Get Local HD files - it said the transfer was complete … made sure we stayed connected until finished for sure … need to test again …

Control Room and plugins - sorry for confusion … i think i read it from someone else talking about CR plugins …

SE and PRO - when i start up a session i see SE activated and need to disable it … i thought this was odd

thank you for your help and concern … i am happy to test and report when i have the time … michael S. has helped me as well in the past and got me connected with yamaha tech support here in the states … would love for this to work for me eventually …

fyi: i know that some of my issues at the outset were due to client computer not being on the correct Mac OS so once that was resolved i hoped it would get better … but they are not wanting to cooperate with testing anymore … need a new out of town guinea pig :wink: :wink: :wink:

i assume you and michael work together as developers … nice work !!! i am sure this issues are isolated to me mostly …

cheers john

i know that some of my issues at the outset were due to client computer not being on the correct Mac OS so once that was resolved i hoped it would get better … but they are not wanting to cooperate with testing anymore … need a new out of town guinea pig

Hi John.

I am quite happy to give it a go if you want to.
Maybe sometime over the weekend.

I also have the VST Connect Pro, but so far only tried it over LAN.

hi misohoza … that would be great … what part of the world are you in so can figure out a time that works for both of us ??

cheers john

Hi John

I’m located in Europe.
I believe the timezone is GMT +1
Same as Germany, France…

Michael

hi michael … maybe early morning here (8am pacific time) and afternoon there (4-5pm GMT+1) … not sure which day will work best yet, but we can stay in touch and see what works best for both of us … cheers john

hi michael … maybe early morning here (8am pacific time) and afternoon there (4-5pm GMT+1) … not sure which day will work best yet, but we can stay in touch and see what works best for both of us … cheers john

OK.
I sent you a PM

after michael and i did a test today … my VST scan crashes my VST performer … even after uninstalling and re-installing ?? i took everything out but Kontakt and still crashes …

VST3 is fine …

UPDATE: version 3.0.40.197 and .181 both are just crashing … re-installed for the 10th time … trying different versions from old installers and VST2’s just crash the performer program …

UPDATE#2: i can get the same version of performer working fine on my macbook pro (yosemite 10.10.4) with kontakt

… i assume now that there must be some preference that i need to toss to get all this back and working again … mac pro has 10.9.5 …

LAST UPDATE: WORKING now !!! 3.0.40.181 … i uninstalled once more … cleaned up my plugins Folder AREA … something was causing an issue … not sure what happened but Kontakt 5 is now working in the VST 2 plugins folder … no rhyme or reason why …

good times …

LAST NOTE: i still have to toggle between Built In Audio on the mac and my Lynx Card … on my laptop i have soundflower installed just so i have somewhere to toggle to …

and one more note: 2nd picture is of the Scan … even though kontakt says Failed it still works … and the Ignore, report, reopen message happens on quit most times …

AND OPERATION NOTE: would be nice if the VST instrument Area Highlighted so you knew it was available to select a VST … it is just gray and looks like it is disabled …
VST passed failed 9_19_15.png
Archive.zip (15.9 KB)