Two challenges with rests

The attached zipped folder contains a PDF showing an item from Robert Starer’s Rhythmic Training book, and my attempt to duplicate it in every detail (aside from placing the notes on a space rather than a line) in Dorico. Even though similar questions have been brought up before, this example combines two separate challenges with rests, and so I ventured to start a new topic.

1. The first measure in the third system: I want the two sixteenth rests between the two sixteenth notes (that would, as I understand it, be the standard way in this case anyway, and in any case it’s the notation Starer wanted to provide for students’ experience). However I try to overwrite, or insert, or erase and re-enter, however I combine Rest Entry and Force Duration, it always turns into a single eighth rest in the end. Is there a method that I’m overlooking?

2. In that same measure and the measure following, is there a way to get that specific beaming of rests as parts of a triplet? I know that one can opt for Stemlets and them give the stemlets an invisible length, but as far as I can tell, it turns ALL divided beats with rests into stemlet notation. Is there a beat-specific way to get that notation, or a whole different method that my searches have not turned up?

With thanks to our wonderfully helpful community…
Starer.zip (511 KB)

I don’t see any problem with challenge 1. Input 1 16th, input 2 rests and 1 16th note with force duration on.
Challenge 2: select the note heads you don’t want to see and set their scaling to 0%. Add rests using shift+x and the correct font.

copy from here if you can’t remember wich font includes rests: https://w3c.github.io/smufl/gitbook/tables/rests.html

You should find that you can use stemlets for a single beamed group by selecting the notes in that group (clicking the beam is a good, quick way to do this), then choose Edit > Beaming > Stemlets > Force Stemlet Beam.

About the rest, it seems that it doesn’t work for drum set. Indeed I can’t make it work correctlty while I have no problem with snare or piano…

After some experimentation, I’ve managed to make everything work.

As @kx3kx3 suggests in his most recent response, for some reasons the rests will consolidate, even if Force Duration is turned on, if the notes are entered for snare drum. So I redid it for flute (with a percussion clef), and was able to keep separate 16th rests. I’d still like to know why it’s different for drum (the notation I wanted seems more standard to me), but I’ve achieved the desired appearance.

As I have with the triplets-with-rests. It look a a lot of failed attempts, though, seemingly doing the same thing each time. Figuring out how to select all three triplet elements (Daniel’s hint doesn’t work when there’s no beam in the first place); then getting the stems to point up (I know the method to do it, but it wasn’t working for the second triplet, no matter what I selected or how many times I deleted and re-entered; then, for no evident reason, on the 37th try it worked); then reducing the stimulates to invisibility (I thought there was a way to do that other than sliding the little handle back to the beam, but that’s all I could find).

But my challenge has been solved, so my thanks to all concerned.

I was about to start a new topic about this but then found this old thread. Regarding Rinaldo’s 2nd question, I just came across notation like this (also for drums) for the first time and was a bit surprised as I’d never seen it before. I’ve attached a screenshot (with relevant parts outlined in red) if you don’t want to download the original zip file. I was just curious, more than anything.

1. Does this style of notation have a name?
  2. Is there now an easier method of using this style in Dorico than the rather cumbersome solution Rinaldo came to?

Best, Darren

1. They’re called beamlets.
  2. No, not really. It’s perfectly possible to do it with a “normal” instrument in Dorico - i.e. anything EXCEPT a Percussion Kit.

The key steps are:
Select the notes and rests you want to beam together - just the notes and rests, not the tuplet bracket or number. Right click and go Beaming > Beam Together.
Then right click again and go Beaming > Stemlets > Force Stemlet Beam.
Then (and this remaining bit is quicker than what Rinaldo described) Ctrl/Cmd-click all the rests that are showing stemlets.
Switch to Engrave mode.
In the bottom panel turn on the “Stemlet adj.” toggle, type -2 into the box and then Return/Enter.

Thanks pianoleo!