Ubuntu - Linux

Hello! I am now an Ubuntu user… could somebody tell me if I can install and run Cubase 10? Thank you!

1 Like

You can’t. Sorry

1 Like

Lol. :rofl:

Use wine and LinVst

1 Like

Some of the VST vendors like waves have Linux support. But not Yamaha. Somewhat similar DAW concepts like Reaper, Bitwig and Ardour/Mixbus run on linux. I think Mixbus is originating from Linux. However Linux is the most used operating systems to day so it is only a matter of time now. It all about how big part of the cake Yamaha want’s. But I guess it will be on Android before Ubuntu so dont hold your breath.

1 Like

Yamaha are using linux in their hardware products…

https://download.yamaha.com/sourcecodes/synth/

We’ve got a very long-running discussion about this here: Cubase for Linux

It will probably take you a week to read it, so I’ll summarise the arguments, none of which I agree with:
– nobody wants this
– existing plugins won’t run on Linux
– poor support would get even worse
– there wouldn’t be enough developers to go round

… the list goes on, repeats itself every few months as people join in without reading all the posts, and then ends up somewhere between Linux having no market share (how do you have “market share” of something that isn’t sold?) and all open source being some kind of subversive plot to destabilise the planet and prepare for the coming of the dark overlord (or something like that).

In the meantime you’d be better off using Ardour.

3 Likes

So is also Avid.

The way Microsoft invest in Linux, I wouldn’t be surprised if Windows is going to have a Linux kernel soner or later.

1 Like

If “nobody wants it”, why is there “a very long running discussion about it”? :thinking:

(I want it. Lots).

3 Likes

Most people in highly technical engineering fields want it.

Most users don’t know about.

Most users buy a computer from BestBuy.

2 Likes

It’s not “nobody,” but it’s “not enough people,” probably.

Cubase doesn’t live in a vacuum. It has to also have support from its eLicenser (try doing that with GPL kernel drivers …) It also has to have support for ASIO drivers on Linux (again, the GPL gets in the way of many vendors, and many vendors just don’t have the wherewithal or interest to release ASIO drivers for Linux for their hardware.) And then all the VST plugins need to be available on Linux. While Native Instruments have ported some parts of their stuff to Linux for Maschine Plus, I think that, too, would be a long and hard uphill slog.

So, let’s assume they did all that work, spent all those resources, and ported all of the Cubase, and UR, and Halion, software to Linux. Would you use it, or would you complain that Serum / Concert Series / Komplete / Melodyne wasn’t available? Would you be OK to buy Steinberg hardware, because the RME or Universal Audio or whatever wasn’t available? And, let’s assume you can live with all of those limitations, how many of you are there?

Now, consider all that same effort, and maybe Steinberg could spend that on features that people who are already paying them money are asking for (Linux is just one of those) – it seems to me that making the case for spending all that effort on Linux is very hard.

2 Likes

nonsense…

well, there’s reason NASA and CERN use it. I would switch to it immediately if Cubase and my main plugins were supported. I know a lot of people have the same mentality as Windows 10 went more the way of user experience product. I remember the smart kid in highschool was all about it… that was a long long time ago.

1 Like

yes, lot’s of great reasons to use it - but those users aren’t using cubase or nuendo !
I’ve using unix/irix/linux for around 30 years…it’s amazing but I haven’t heard ‘most people in a highly technical field’ wanting a cubase or nuendo build for linux.

Sorry I wasn’t saying most people in highly technical fields want a Cubase build for Linux I just meant highly as in NASA, CERN, USDOD, Google, FaceBook, Amazon… public transportation… nuclear… and that, perhaps Cubase/Nuendo shouldn’t be excluded from that group… after all, many of us are Audio ‘Engineers’.

it seemed to me that Linux was the turtle that won or is winning the race in the engineering world… is there really another choice? People might sooner use Windows 7 as an OS base than they would Windows 10.

I guess people imagine Linux to have the potential to build audio-DAW-specific custom OS that will be more stable and efficient

1 Like

anything is possible - but at the current time it makes zero sense to port cubase or any SB app over to linux (in my opinion!)

If anybody thinks that it will be more stable - that’s based on zero evidence. Just wishful thinking.

I’m not suggesting that people stop requesting it - people are free to request anything they like… I am saying that (in my opinion) it doesn’t make any sense at all and further to that I’m willing to bet that it won’t happen, unless there is a major market shift.

As an aside, the original Nuendo was developed for irix…

fair enough

I guess the main attraction for these bigger companies is they can sort of make their own OS out of Linux to suit their exact needs, requirements and performance with no extra unnecessary baggage.

LinuxVST OS.

1 Like

Yes - but i requires everyone to get onboard…hardware and software…all the plugin vendors etc.

And no guarantee that it would be more stable or better.

It won’t happen IMO

Linux has (on desktop) a 1.7% market share, last I saw some numbers a few weeks ago. If running servers Linux has almost become the default choice. Don’t remember the market share, but it is massive.
The only way I can see Linux becoming a mainstream desktop OS, is if Microsoft do the work and replace the current NT kernel with a Linux one. If done right it could potentially give us (the users) a more stable, secure and efficient experience. Something like Ubuntu is IMHO a way worse user experience than win10.
But even now in Win10, you can install a Linux distro and use BASH instead of PowerShell to handle your windows files. Linux is slowly creeping in, and I’m fine with that as long as it doesn’t make the user experience worse.
With all the drivers required for a average DAW computer ( audio device, keyboard controllers, pads, dongles etc.) and those would need to be replaced as far as I know. I just don’t see the commercial incentive, especially for older devices.
Yes Linux is great, but there’s a reason it does not get used more for desktop/workstation.
I would encourage anyone to at least try a Linux distro. I have done so many times over the last 25 years, but have newer felt it to be easier to use or maintain than Windows.

btw. I could see Nuendo Live, being a prime candidate for a Linux version.