UI flashing and stuttering when opening/closing left and right panels

Hi there,

I haven’t used Dorico in quite some time, but I did notice this issue when I was first trying out Dorico 4 and wanted to wait until later versions to see if it was a temporary problem with the first update.

On my Windows laptop, Dorico’s UI has become much more sluggish when opening and closing panels compared to 3.5; it noticeably lags and momentarily grays out the score window specifically when toggling the left and right panels. The problem is worse when Dorico is in full screen; when I snap the program to one quarter of my screen, it still stutters but not as badly.

I tried searching the forum but couldn’t find anyone else reporting this issue; could this possibly an issue with my own installation or my own computer?

I’m currently running version 4.20.0.1092 on an Intel Core i7-7700HQ with 16GB of RAM, if that helps.

Thank you for looking into this!

You will often see some momentary visual artifacts when panels are opened and closed, depending on what this means for the geometry of the various user interface elements that need to be updated. It’s a bit unusual for the whole score view to go blank for a moment, however. What kind of graphics hardware do you have in your computer? What are the dimensions of the display you’re driving?

Hi Daniel,

My laptop has a 4K panel with both an integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 and a discrete NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050.

Should I be using my NVIDIA when running Dorico…?

John

It might be worth trying using the more powerful graphics hardware, but in general you won’t benefit from the additional power of your GPU when running Dorico.

The score view momentarily disappearing still happened with my NVIDIA chip, unfortunately.

It sounds like this issue doesn’t affect most other people? Should I reinstall the program?

No, I don’t think reinstalling will make any difference, I’m afraid. You may have to live with it.

Oh, that’s… unfortunate, if I’m being honest. Not that it’s anything very serious, but the sudden flash does hurt my eyes whenever I switch the panels on or off.