Ukulele Sample Library

The ukulele sounds in HALion and NotePerformer aren’t listed as separate instruments; acoustic guitar sounds aren’t pleasing substitutes. The only possibility I’ve found is from a Russian company, SplashSounds.org, but it needs the Full version of Kontakt , v5.6.8 or higher. Does Kontakt work well with Dorico?
Does anyone have a suggestion of an authentic-sounding ukulele sample library?

Kontakt works fine with Dorico.

If you don’t want to purchase Kontakt, Amplesound makes some really good instruments. I have their Ample Bass Upright and it works great with Dorico. They make a Ukulele too and have a bunch of audio samples of it on their site.

1 Like

This is the way. I love Amplesound.

2 Likes

There is a Ukelele in the Garritan World Instruments library; it also comes bundled with Finale.

I literally just downloaded a MIDI file from the net, imported it to Dorico, set the instrument, and exported the audio.

And Plogue’s Sforzando player (IIRC) is free and will play Garritan sounds.

Yeah, but if you’ve got the Garritan sounds, then you get ARIA Player with them.

It’s perhaps excessive to buy a whole library (even if $149) just for one instrument; though I dare say ‘needs must’. But if the OP has an old version of Finale, then … job done.

1 Like

Thank you for the lead; Amplesound’s ukulele sounds authentic.

2 Likes

AmpleSound’s ukulele library is now installed and activated on my Mac. How do I add it to Dorico’s list of VST instruments? I am a complete novice in the area of sound manipulation.

Amplesound’s ukelele library is in VST2 format, which won’t be read by Dorico until you manually “authorize” its use. To do this, go to: Dorico preferences>VST plug-ins. There you should see Amplesound Ukelele included in the list of “blocked plug-ins”. Highlight the ukelele plug-in and use the button to move it to the “allowed plug-ins” list. Then, re-start Dorico and your new plug-in should now appear as an available VST Instrument in the right-hand column in Play mode. If you are already using HALion Sonic SE or another VST, click on the its name and you can then choose an alternative or, in this case, Amplesound’s Ukelele.

Thank you kindly, Mike; I got the AmpleSound ukulele instrument installed. Do I need to massage the chords somewhere to make them sound like they’re supposed to? Some chord symbols make a sound like a chord, but others sound like single notes, and not even like the root of the chord, e.g., when I click on a G chord, a D note sounds. Do I need to set up the chord sounds someplace? Go into the Amplesound files?

I don’t use chord symbols so have no advice but I’m sure somebody experienced with chord symbols will chime in. (I have used the Amplesound Upright Bass on a trial basis and loved it so I expect their Ukelele will sound good, too.) Good luck!

In Play, you have to assign the VST to the Chords track, then click the little speaker on the right.
Chords

I think it sounds really great, and is easy to work with in Dorico. As a sample, here’s a bass line I transcribed right out of Dorico with no MIDI editing at all.

… and here’s the original recording. (The bass player, Christian McBride, was 18 years old on this recording)

2 Likes

Thanks for including the screen shot. I did set up the chords track with the Ample sound, and the result was the same as before: some chords sounded like 3-note chords, some like single notes—a note in the chord, but not the root—some just two notes. The sound is indeed like an ukulele, as the sample you sent is like a bass.

Thanks. Yes, the Amplesound Upright Bass sounds “delicious” and is definitely on my wish list. And, kudos to Chrisitian McBride, especially considering his age at the time.

This might be wrong, but my hunch is there is a octave discrepancy and Dorico is sending root notes that are too low and therefore off the instrument. In the Expression Map you are using for it, try adding 12 (semitones) to the Transpose box as below:

The Real Book Overview.dorico suggested by D. Spreadbury shows the C chord with just the triad, and only 3 notes are playing; but I want to hear what the ukulele chord diagram indicates, which is 4 notes.

Where is the Expression Map Data dialog?

I think you don’t tell Dorico which notes to play, when you make the chord track play. I mean, you don’t really choose the notes — unless you record them in real time using a piano keyboard, in which case Dorico will pick that recording over what it is “programmed” to play when there are just chord symbols. In other words, I don’t think there’s any connection (yet) between the chord diagrams and the realization of the chords in the chord track.

Go to Play>Expression Maps to display the Expression Map Data dialog. On the left side of the dialog, choose the appropriate instrument, and then make desired adjustments.