Un-Remove rests

How do I unremove rests?

Remove Rests has removed a crotchet rest at the start of the bar that I need, rather than a blank beat.

I can’t work out how to use Start Voice to do this.

I can force a rest, but I know this is a bad way to do it…

What is the right way?

I’d advise you to turn on voice colours, then scroll back until you find the last time that the relevant voice was visible. You should find that the last visible item has the “ends voice” property selected. Unselect it and your remover rest(s) should reappear.

This is how I was thinking, but the last note in that voice (only one voice per staff in this case) doesn’t have the property selected.
I’ve selected and unselected start and end here and on the note after the missing rest, without any change.

What about selecting the last visible item in that voice and repeating it, or creating a new note after it? Try doing that, and then deleting that note - does the rest reappear?

Another thought - is this a situation where the rest is missing because there’s a full bar of cross-staff stuff going on? If so, you’ll need to force a rest.

This didn’t work in the next bar, or the next three… but it did work in the bar immediately preceding the missing rest.

Except, I have the problem in four different staves. This fixed three of them…

Update: The fourth one fixed when I put notes in the bar before in up- and down-stem voices.

I’d still like to understand why

You might instead have ‘Starts voice’ set on the note on the second beat of that bar – that would also cause a rest at the start of the bar not to appear.

Daniel, that was the first thing I checked. I’m sure there is a logic to it that I’m missing atm…

Well, attach the project here (you can cut it down to just a few bars using the Shift+B popover) and I’ll take a look.

Will do. Thank you.

I’ve a score with proportional notation and no rests. However, I would like, for editing reasons, to make rests reappear when needed.

While this discussion is quite old, I don’t think anything has been added to this issue. Is it un-removing deleted rests possible, even without having to re-enter notes?

Paolo

@pianoleo’s advice works best. Find the note immediately before where you think the rests should start and switch off the ends voice property.

1 Like

Shift-B, rest, enter works as well, even where there’s not a note.

Although that only works for whole bars…

Yes, it works perfectly (even if, unfortunately, not on multiple notes).

This also made me understand how the Remove Rests command works, that is by ending a voice (therefore making a rest after the end of that voice meaningless).

Paolo

There should be a reasonable coverage of those properties on the relevant page in the manual.

1 Like

Hi Lillie,
just a small request: You always post the links for the English WebHelp. It is easy to change the language to e. .g. German by changing the “en” to “de” in the URL, but it would be even nicer, if there were a direct button to switch between languages.
(So far I only can change the language on steinberg.help until I start a WebHelp-version.)

Yes, it would be nice, and it’s something we’re looking into alongside clearer indications of what version you’re looking at.

3 Likes