Unable to hear Dorico audio and non-Dorico audio

I have trouble seamlessly switching between hearing audio from Dorico and non-Dorico audio, such as hearing YouTube audio in a browser.

Here are the observations and steps I take:

1. I hear Dorico play piano sounds in notes I inputted in Dorico. However, I can’t hear YouTube audio.
  2. In Windows 10, I go to the Advanced tab of the Speakers Properties for my Realtek High Definition Audio. I see a section that says “Exclusive Mode.”
  3. I uncheck “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device.”
  4. I close Dorico, having saved the piano sounds as a Dorico file. Then I open Dorico and open the same file. I do not hear any audio in Playback or when I input notes.
  5. I am able to hear YouTube audio.
  6. I recheck “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device.”
  7. I close Dorico. I open Dorico and the file of piano sounds that I previously had . Now I cannot hear YouTube audio. However, I hear audio from Dorico.

Thank you for your help and time.

You also need to make a similar change in Dorico. In Preferences/Device Setup ensure you have the ASIO Generic Low Latency Device selected and uncheck the box ‘Allow ASIO host application to take exclusive control of the selected port’

Thanks for the quick reply.

I followed your suggestion. However, I was unable to hear Dorico audio.

Here are the steps I took and my observations:

1. I uncheck the box ‘Allow ASIO host application to take exclusive control of the selected port’. (When I uncheck the box, the device name listed under Outport Ports section disappears. The device name is Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio).)
  2. I close Dorico. I open Dorico and loaded up the Dorico piano file. l don’t hear the piano sounds in playback.
  3. I experiment and uncheck “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” in the the Advanced tab of the Speakers Properties for my Realtek High Definition Audio.
  4. I repeat step 2. I do not hear any piano sounds in playback.
  5. I backtrack and recheck the boxes ‘Allow ASIO host application to take exclusive control of the selected port’ and ‘Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device.’
  6. I close Dorico. I open Dorico and load up the Dorico piano file. I hear piano sounds in playback.

I’ve checked on my Win laptop and managed to get both, YouTube and Dorico to put out audio via the speakers (Realtek High Defintion Audio) at the same time. In Dorico I used the Generic Low Latency Driver.
So it is possible somehow.

I think your system is in a somewhat confused state. That the output ports go away from the list when you uncheck the ‘Allow ASIO host app to take exclusive control’ is not normal, they should stay.

May I suggest that you restart your system and try again.

Thanks Ulf for your quick reply. I followed your suggestion of restarting my system. The device name (Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)) listed in my output port still disappears when I uncheck ‘Allow ASIO host app to take exclusive control.’

Now I brought my system into the same state, i.e. the speaker ports disappear when I untick the ‘exclusive control’ option. I will further investigate and come back…

Videogamepianist,
sorry, probably I was too excited, but I was wrong. Not unticking in the ASIO Control Panel made my Realtek port go away, but the other way round, ticking that option made it disappear. But that was normal, because at the same time in the Advance Tab of the Speaker I specified to not allow exclusive control. So the Advanced Tab takes precedence (which makes sense), saying this port is not allowed to be used exclusively. Then the ASIO Control Panel comes along and tries to list all ports that may be used exclusively, and so then that port disappears, because it is not allowed.

Your case is more weird. The Realtek port disappears from the portlist when unticking the exclusive control option, which means that the Realtek port can’t be shared somehow. On the other hand, it should be possible to be shared, at least that’s what is on my system (by the way, my Realtek High Def Audio driver is at version 6.0.1.7746).
So somehow on your system some program or the system itself must claim that port exclusively and not giving up on it.
I suggest that again you restart your system. Then don’t start any application (best to even disable auto start apps) but just run the GLLD Control Panel from C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Asio\asioglldsetup.exe . Then still, the Realtek doesn’t show up in the output list, even if the “Allow ASIO host…” option is unticked?