Unable to hear playback in Dorico 5 (case 2)

Hi, also just chiming in here. No playback on Dorico 5 for me either. Whether I open an old project, or create something from new.
Dorico 4.3 working fine.

Hi @aleos, please open in Dorico 5 a project that makes no sound and then do from the Dorico menu Help > Create Diagnostics Report and post the corresponding zip file here. Thanks

Hi @inyouendo ,

I also had this feeling of doing something wrong…
As you can see now, some other users face this issue.
I am pretty sure that as soon as Dorico’s team will get more informations, they will solve this case.
Nice to meet somebody who has programmed the Z80 CPU too. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have many Dorico scores that use loopMIDI to send MIDI playback info to Cubase. They work fine in Dorico 4, but are not working in Dorico 5.

Looking at MIDI monitor in Cubase, here’s what seems to be happening. When you select a note or chord in Dorico 5, it sends appropriate Note On messages. However, it does not send any corresponding Note Off messages (Dorico 4 sends both Note On and Note Off when you select something).

When you try to play, while playing, Dorico 5 does not send any Note On messages at all. When you hit stop, it sends a whole slew of Note Off messages all at once. (Again, the same file in Dorico 4 sends all the correct Note On and Note off messages.)

So, perhaps a bug? Or perhaps something in the MIDI preferences is different in Dorico 5? I’m on Windows 11.

Similar to this?

1 Like

Thank you, it looks to be the same issue. I had tried searching but didn’t see that other thread.

@Ulf I just noticed something possibly unusual and wanted to give you heads-up.

I have both Dorico 4 and Dorico 5 installed side by side. I can start either one of them without any problem (the issue of course is the MIDI Out in D5).

However, after installing the D5 hotfix this morning, I noticed that when I open Dorico 4, it starts up with the Dorico 5 audio engine. I am not sure if this was also the case before the hotfix on the original D5 installation. But anyway - D4 now runs with the D5 audio engine and I have no problems at all with playback. The only issue is that the green dot doesn’t light up anymore. LoopMIDI shows normal MIDI activity…

@ebrooks , that can’t be. If you start D4 and the audio engine of D5 comes up, then you copied the hotfix version to the wrong place. Everything else should not be, even shall not be. Can you please reconfirm, or create a diagnostics report and post here. Thanks

@Ulf I used the SDA to install the hotfix and didn’t do or touch anything else, not even a restart. Is there a particular point in the startup sequence that you’d want me to do the Diag Report or can be after some time using the program?

Nothing particular, just create it now, please.

@Ulf

Here is the system monitor:

and the report:
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.4 MB)

Sorry, getting confused myself, no, that what you see is normal because D4.x shipped with VSTAudioEngine 5.5 and Dorico 5 with VSTAudioEngine 5.6. So everything is normal and how it should be.

1 Like

False alarm then. Ooops! Very sorry for that.

No worries. But indeed, it is confusing :wink:

Hi @Ulf ,

For your information, although the version history of the D5.0.10 update does not mention anything about this case, I installed it and I confirm that it does not improve the situation.

Following this topic very closely :slightly_smiling_face:, I was glad to see that you tried some hotfix about it.
I cross fingers for you for finding a solution soon. :wink:

Hi @Eric2000 ,

my biggest problem though is that I can’t reproduce it here with me; I’m currently trying, but with me it works normally. I even got out my old Roland synth to get external MIDI going, but still…
Do you have a recipe by which you can bring Dorico into that state?

Did you setup a configuration with 2 computers Ethernet LAN linked and MIDI data transfered via rtpMIDI ?
You can find rtpMIDI here : rtpMIDI | Tobias Erichsen (tobias-erichsen.de).
Then, you setup Dorico on the source computer and a MIDIView instance on the destination one.

That would reproduce my actual setup closely…

P.S. If you are not familiar with rtpMIDI and if you wish to save time, I can list you the steps for configuring rtpMIDI on both computers.

@Eric2000 , thanks for your offer, but I think I have now found a way to reproduce it.

1 Like

Great !!

May I ask you how ?

Don’t really know, created a piano project, set up to play out MIDI to my Roland, and now when I reload the project it behaves like you explained. Click on the notes in Write mode and my Roland receives Note ON but no Note Off, and in Play mode nothing at all.

3 Likes