Unable to hide ghosted clefs and key signatures in Galley view

I would like to hide ghosted clefs and key signatures that appear at the beginning of each flow in Galley view in Setup and Write modes.

I tried following these instructions: Hiding/Showing clefs at the start of systems but I’m still seeing the ghosted clefs and key signatures:
Ghosted clefs
Ghosted clefs and key signatures

Perhaps there are some other settings I need to find and adjust, or maybe this should be checked out by the development team.

I understand the benefit offered by the ghosted display, but when it’s telling me something I’m already aware of, it takes away from available screen space for writing music, in Galley view.

BTW, how can I make sure I’m always viewing the latest applicable documentation when a web search takes me to the Dorico documentation? For instance, the doc. I linked to is for version 4.3.30. I presume that still applies to the latest release, but I’m unsure about that.

I don’t think this is possible yet, unfortunately.

If you click “Dorico Help” from the Dorico Menu, it will direct you to the correct online manual of your Dorico version.

At the moment, apart from specifying the version in your search, the most obvious way to check the version you’ve landed on is to look at the version displayed at the top left of each webhelp page, or check the version in the url itself.

As it happens, the page you landed on is about changing what notations appear in the music, rather than internal-only galley view display options.

The manuals team have plans in-progress to make it easier to filter for and switch between versions and languages. Watch this space!

1 Like

Thanks, klafkid and Lillie.

I realize that searching from the help file within the program will provide the ‘latest and greatest’. There have been a number of times when I’ve searched for the answer via Google. It seems that provides me with additional answers, such as comments in Dorico users’ posts, the Dorico forum, Youtube, etc. Sometimes searching through Google helps me quickly home in on the information I’m seeking, compared to searching through the latest help files.

Surprisingly, for a tech company, Google often does a mediocre job of providing the most up-to-date technical information, without additional user-interaction. My searches often show answers from the last decade, which is essentially ‘forever’ in tech time. Of course, it’s hard for their algorithm to discern a lot of relevance and timeliness, even when it finds the hints it seeks, (such as meta tags, schema, authoritative links from other pages, etc).

It would be great if searches from the web that land on the Dorico documentation pages would automatically would provide the latest information, but I’m sure that would take a lot of work to handle effectively. I reckon the manuals team never quite has enough hours in the day to handle all the things they would like to do, as well as what they feel is essential, etc.

Glad to hear the team has plan in-progress to make the process easier.

That’s a practical impossibility. Older posts inevitably have more views, hence rise higher in Google’s ranking.

You will generally get better results using the advanced search on the forum.

That’s a good point, Janus, though I think it’s technically possible to provide searchers an updated page. Upon reflection, that’s probably a poor use of resources and the result of doing so would cause issues for users of older versions.

I’ll check out the advanced search on the forum. Thanks.

Another reason they don’t try to make search engines give only the latest manual pages is that many users are not running the latest version, so they need the older versions, which are still on the site.

Perhaps it would help if the online documentation pages included a pulldown at the top that would allow visitors to select the version of Dorico they’re using.

Potentially helpful, but certainly not necessary.