Unable to import .ALL songs to Cubase SX3 - Midi import works

Hi, I’m a newbie trying to get back into
I am attempting to import .ALL files into Cubase SX3 in order to save them as .CPR.
I am using a Windows 7 laptop and my pro 10.5 eLicenser. SX3 loads up fine but as soon as I choose a song and try to import, I get an error message and the process sticks at 5 or 6% - song header.

Interestingly midi files import with no issue. - The reason I want to convert them to .CPR is that I have read on the forum that converting to CPR helps to keep the integrity of the song information??

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can successfully import to convert to .CPR?

Hey there, I hope you’re doing fine and that you’re healthy!!

Did you find a solution for the mentioned error in the meantime? I am struggling with the exact same problem - need to remix and convert some Cubase .ALL files (from the Atari days, early 90’s) to CPR.

And even though I’d consider myself a Cubase “pro” it seems like I can not fix this problem. Maybe I have to get an Atari and use an old-school MIDI cable to salvage those songs :sweat_smile: But I’m willing to do this, if it’s the only way.

Or did you maybe found an easier solution?

Cheers and keep on making music!! :raised_hands:t3:

Hi, unfortunately I was unable to convert the files. I was hoping to find someone who had been successful but no Joy.
Good luck though.

try running virtual xp on top of windows 7. i have the .all files on a cd but i can’t find my dongle so i can’t open my sx2. need assistance if anyone can help with converting .all to .cpr

Yes I did use virtual XP and managed to convert a handful of tracks to Midi but Think that the rest were corrupted or damaged in some way. I might try again at later date but for now going to give it a rest.

I am having the same problem … I have a bunch of .all files from many years ago … the steinberg site recommended SE3 which I have downloaded but it wont run because the licence for it (from steinberg) dates to 2016!! Tried an atari emulator (steem) but got stuck as I dont know how to import the cubasis 1 .prg or any .all files or anything :slight_smile:

I’m struggling with .all files aswell. Small .all files will load into cubase sx3. But as soon as the .all is larger then 80kb the .all will not load and I get an error with song header error. Any idea why small files load fine and large files causing a problem. Is there a buffer or something you have to set?

Hi, I also join for the same problem: importing the .ALL files always gives me the same error on the song header.
I have tried Cubase SE on Windows 10 and Windows 7 (both in XP SP3 compatible mode as Administrator).
The .ALL files come from the floppy disks of my Atari ST on which I had long ago created about 40 songs, spending a lot of time; I think the files are okay because I have read them with different tools obtaining the same content (binary comparison of the files).

Hi, I want to share my solution on this Forum.

First of all, the .ALL files of the Atari ST can be imported with the special tools for Windows that directly read the files from the floppies (Windows + floppy drive), without particular precautions; one of these tools is the following https://atari.8bitchip.info/floimgd.php.
Those files are correct, if you can’t open them with Cubase SE 3 it’s normal.

Somewhere I read that to open the .ALL files of the Atari ST you need to use Cubase VST 5 on Windows: it’s true !!!

The steps are these:

1. with Cubase VST32 5 open the .ALL files and save them again in the .ALL format (new file);
  2. with Cubase SE 3 import the new .ALL file (this time it will work!) And save the .CPR file;
  3. the .CPR file should be fine on newer Cubase versions.

I hope this solution will help others like me who have spent a lot of time recovering their files created on the Atari ST.

1 Like