Unable to launch Dorico

I am new user, just got a temporary license, using a Macbook Pro (OS 10.12.2). I’ve tried many times to launch Dorico and every time, I get the message “Could not connect to CoreMIDI. You should restart your System.”
I’ve rebooted several times, but still get the same message.
Can you help me?
Thanks.

Joel

Please try zipping up the VSTAudioEngine folder you will find in /Users/your-user-name/Library/Preferences and attach it here. Also, please copy and paste the contents of the file application.log from /Users/your-user-name/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico into a post here, so we can take a look.

Hi Daniel,
Thanks for responding. I attached both folders.
Thanks.

Joel
Dorico.zip (2 KB)
VSTAudioEngine.zip (32.8 KB)

Thanks. I’ve asked my colleague Ulf to take a look at this when he has a moment.

Thank you! looking forward to his response.
Joel

Hi Joel,
your problem is on a OSX system level. I’ve googled for similar “could not connect to CoreMIDI” errors and found some hints for fixing. Some people say they have to run MIDI Monitor or the Audio MIDI Setup utility before running the app that is trying to use CoreMIDI (in your case Dorico). You could try that.

Here is some other guy who proposes a rather brute force method: Fix Core MIDI problems with OSX – James Howard Young
But use at your own risk, don’t blame me if it doesn’t work or causes other side effects.

Normally this MIDI stuff should just work on OSX. Personally, I never had any issues with MIDI drivers on my MacMini here.

If you launch the Audio MIDI Setup utility, what MIDI devices get shown with you? If it doesn’t appear automatically, choose from the menu Window > Show MIDI Studio. Maybe you could post a screenshot.

Hi Ulf,
Thank you for your response.
Indeed there must be some issue with the Audio MIDI because the Audio MIDI Setup doesn’t respond (see my screen shot, attached; it’s just stuck…).
Do you know what I can do to fix that?
Thanks.
Joel

Hi Ulf,
Thank you for your response.
Indeed there must be some issue with the Audio MIDI because the Audio MIDI Setup doesn’t respond (see my screen shot, attached; it’s just stuck…).
Do you know what I can do to fix that?
Thanks.
Joel

Hi Ulf,
Problem resolved! I empty the contents of the MIDI Drivers folders, restarted and now I’m able to launch Dorico.
Those drivers must have gotten corrupted somehow.
Anyway, thanks again for your help!
Joel

Hi Joel,
glad to hear that it works now for you.

Cheers,
Ulf