Unable to use certain key commands

I set ‘alt+arrow’ for navigate up and down commands (because I changed lower/raise pitch to regular arrows), but for some reason navigate up and down commands are not working.

There are some other combinations that didn’t work for me, such as cmd+alt+shift+B. Is there a reason why these combinations don’t work?

Are you on Windows or Mac? Under what circumstances do Alt+up/down arrow not work?

on Mac. When a note is selected and I press alt+up arrow, I except the next highest note in the chord or the note on the staff above to be selected, but nothing happens.

and alt+cmd+shift+B combination is set to filter bottom notes but this is not doing anything either. I’m able to perform the command through edit menu however.

It would be interesting to see a set of diagnostics from your installation. Could you please restart Dorico, open an existing project, attempt to use your Alt+up/down shortcuts, then do Help > Create Diagnostic Report and attach the resulting zip file here?

Carmen.dorico (1.7 MB)
Here it is!

I don’t think that’s exactly what I’m after, sorry! The file I want is called Dorico Diagnostics.zip and it’ll be created on your desktop after you choose Help > Create Diagnostic Report.

Oh, sorry about that! I made the diagnostic file, but then accidentally uploaded the wrong file :see_no_evil: Here is the correct file!
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.2 MB)

It looks to me as if you have specified Page Up and Page Down as the shortcuts for Navigate Down and Navigate Up, not Alt+up/down arrow.

I changed them because alt+up/down wasn’t working. I added those commands again now and they’re still not doing anything. page up+down works for the same command, thought I would like to use alt+arrows if I can make it work.
Attaching another diagnostic file I created after re-adding the commands, in case it helps.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.5 MB)

The problem is that you have defined Alt+up/down arrow both to Navigate Up/Down and to Octave Up/Down. You’ll need to make a choice as to one or the other.

1 Like

That was it!! I wasn’t aware of those commands. Thank you!

When we give the same key command to these two commands, why doesn’t any warning text telling us that they are duplicates appear in the key commands dialog?

I do get a warning, just to the right of the box.

Hmm… I don’t get any warning.
navigate up octave up key command

As far as I know, Dorico only recognises/uses the first/topmost key-command, when there’s more than one. Could be the reason.