Unable to use speaker configurations 2, 3 or 4 if 1 is a digital output

Hello !

My main monitors are on my digital output (output 5 and 6 of my RME)

If I set my main monitors to Speaker config 1, speakers config 2, 3 and 4 remain silent.
If I set my main monitors to Speaker config 2, speaker config 1, 3 and 4 work normally.

This forces me to select configuration 2 each time I open Wavelab before starting. Because the default config is #1.

Is this a bug?
Thank you.

WaveLab does not make any difference if output is analog or digital.
Possibly, you don’t understand the concept of the Speaker configuration. I invite you to read the manual about this.

Thank you for the information about Wavelab Pro 11.1 doesn’t make any difference if output is digital or analog.

Just be sure I carefully read the user manual before asking.

To be more simple this is an example :

Bus 1----assigned to HP configuration#1----to output 5/6 : ok
Bus 2----assigned to HP configuration#2----to output 1/2 : no sound

But :
Bus 1----assigned to HP configuration#1----to output 1/2 : ok
Bus 2----assigned to HP configuration#2----to output 5/6 : ok

Output 5/6 are my main monitoring
Output 1/2 are my small monitoring (or headphones, or…)

Thank you for your help solving it.

Please show pictures of your WaveLab Playback Audio Connection dialog. One picture per Speaker configuration.

Sure

In this configuration, only my main speakers are emitting sound.

Your configuration seems correct. I don’t have the RME BabyFace but another RME device where it works.
Therefore I guess your RME config must not be set properly. But thanks to the RME TotalMix console (that you should have), you should be able to trace the audio signal. You should see that WaveLab sends the proper signal. Now, where this signal is mixed/output is an RME setting.

Thank you

As you say, total mix allows to route the signal in the easiest way.
At a glance you can see where the signal comes from and where to route it.
From this same look I can see instantly that no signal appears in the above mentioned configuration#2 and #3.

However, I only need to change configuration#1 by assigning my analog output 1/2 to it, for the three outputs to work normally again.

Here is the short example I posted :

Bus 1----assigned to HP configuration#1----to output 5/6 : ok
Bus 2----assigned to HP configuration#2----to output 1/2 : no sound

But :
Bus 1----assigned to HP configuration#1----to output 1/2 : ok
Bus 2----assigned to HP configuration#2----to output 5/6 : ok

Buying a new interface seems to me a disproportionate solution.
I sincerely hope to understand and find another solution

I did another test and there is maybe a WaveLab bug, caused by the output numbering (eg. 5/6 coming before 1/2). I will have to investigate more and I come back to you.

Merci :pray:

I found and fixed the problem. This will be part of the WaveLab 11.1.10 update.

2 Likes

Well done !
Thanks

Has this been fixed? Currently running WL PRO 11.2 but still I don’t get output on each of my speaker configurations.
Main output 1/2 – sound
Out 3/4 - no sound
Out 7/8 - no sound
Reference track OUT 5/6 - no sound

I use the Behringer X32 digital mixer as my soundcard. I have selected the correct ASIO driver. And it does show all 32 input/output ports.
Thanks,
Antoine

Yes. Please double-check your settings. Try different things.

Forgot to mention in my previous email that it doesn’t work for audio montages (only output through Out1/2 and not via 3/4 and 7/8 (in my case).

Thus is only works in the Audio Editor mode? I can’t find any remark about this in the manual. In the audio montage mode, I can send to Reference Track 5/6

All speaker configurations are set to 0db in the Speaker Configuration panel.

If you deal with surround audio, I recommend you to use the Universal setting.

1 Like

Hi PG,

I don’t use surround. However, if I select ‘Universal’ then still audio is only sendto Out 1/2 and not to Out3/Out4 (in this test) in the AudioEditor nor from a AudioMontage.

In your picture, Left and Right are assigned to Out1/Out2, hence why do you expect it to be Out3/Out4 ?

I would expect that somehow I would be able to send to Left, Right, Center, Low Frequency Effects, etc and then assign these Speakers to outputs (Out 1 …4, etc) on my audio interface.

But from your question, this is apparently not how this works?

Maybe my answer was not clear. Indeed, I reasoned in terms of a stereo file.
If you have a surround file, of course, Out3/Out4 would be used if the surround file is a L/R/C/LFE config.
Your picture suggests you only use a surround file with 4 channels. Is that the case?

Hi PG1,
No, i don’t use surround. Only stereo file. Which then explains I only have audio on out1/2.

Thus, bottom line, in the audio montage I cannot send audio to additional outputs (e.g., OUT3/4) for a stereo file?