Understand fingering (shift-f)

Hi!

I wonder why its possible e.g. to click on a lyrics text (shift-l) in order to delete it just by pressing the delete button, but why this is not possible with fingerings. If I click on fingerings both the fingering and the note turn orange. So if I want to delete the fingering I have to open up the popover and delete it there. IMHO thats cumbersome. I mentioned it when I transposed a piece for students from a difficult key (with fingerings) to an easy key, where fingerings became unnecessary.
So the question is: whats the deeper reason, that its not possible to simply click on fingerings and press delete, respectively to double click them in order to open the popover?
Any ideas? Thx!! :slight_smile:

Fingerings are properties of a note. If you want to delete them en masse, select the notes then turn off the fingering property (in the properties panel).

Lyrics are not a property of a note. They are independent objects that can be placed at any rhythmic position, using the caret, even in a bar where there are no notes.

Thanks, I already know how to handle them by popovers. Ok. Properties of a note like articulations. I understand. :slight_smile: Thx!

There’s also a menu option for removing fingerings, to which you can assign a key command if you want.

Ok, cool! Thx.

Another question: Dorico knows, that its a fingering for a specific instrument (e.g. brass instruments). Why there is no possibility that the fingering changes automatically when I transpose a piece? Because: the fingerings for e.g. french horns in F are the same worldwide: c=0, c#=12, d=1 …

The simple answer to this is because we haven’t implemented changing fingerings when transposing music. But we’ll perhaps consider this as something for the future.