Understanding latency, buffer settings, delay compensation and dialing your system to be accurate

hrmm, I think you are re-confusing me :stuck_out_tongue: you can have multiple points of monitoring that are either in sync with each other or not. The purpose of the External FX plugin being delayed as much as it is, is to - after a round of DA and then AD while also taking into account added plugin latency - to be syncronized to what you hear off your main DAW Cubase output to your speakers.

I’m not doing anything, I’m making sure everythings sync’d using a drawn in blip. You’re over thinking about me over thinking essentially :laughing:

TLDR (all the comment’s yet)
When using External-FX, Cubase measures the delay and offsets the playback, lets say a -50 milliseconds.
For the inputs, it has no clue whats coming in, it can’t read your mind for instance…
Now (or maybe tomorrow) I’m gonna read the rest of the responses… :wink:

I think I came to this conclusion??? But the pinger is for it being able to ascertain if there is any additional delay beyond the projects plug-in latencies and the AD/DA-DA/AD conversion latencies.

Alright, so the place I’m REAL lost, is how to get DAW-MIDIout->External Synth/External Synth Audio out->DAW Audio Track record.

Everything in the program seems to compensate for AD/DA latency, Buffer latency, and plugin latency except for this.

I believe the problem is, the MIDI is being sent out too late because I’m confident my audio going in is always sample accurate sync’d.

I’m using a MOTU Midi Express XT, and I also have a USB-MIDI Eurorack to CV/Clock converter called a uMIDI. the uMIDI for whatever reason, seems to have a quicker response if utilize the MIDI over USB. However if I go XT to uMIDIs MIDI input, it becomes nearly equally as slow as the XT to my other keyboard synths.

Is this where I meet the limitations of sync in Cubase? IS there no way to compensate for this MIDI latency with audio returns?

No, Cubase can compensate in both cases. They are identical from the point of view of the DAW.

Cubase can only compensate for the latencies it knows about. If your outboard gear has an additional latency, that gear is equivalent to an outboard delay effect :slight_smile:.

Well, some gear reports to the DAW, such as is with ASIO, and then External FX have the ping function exactly for this.

I definitely hear things as a flam at 5-7ms if it’s a percussive sound.

Any tips here other than just editing?

It seems that MIDI protocol is the weakpoint on latency.

Yeah percussion is terrible when there’s even the slightest latency.

Why don’t you use the external instrument options and control the delay for each connection in there to bring them into line?

Extermal Instruments I couldn’t figure out, they don’t actually seem to be latency auto compensated, and the delay setting didn’t seem to improve, it seemed more like it was an output delay, rather than a return compensation… they were the one track that couldn’t seem to return back in time no matter what was adjusted. Also, buffer settings do have an effect on the External Instruments when recording the return.

This is a interesting post. I spent 6 hrs today trying to align a recorded metronome recording (first generated by Cubase) that was looped back into a channel. The result was an aligned recording - and I learned for the first time what the ‘Record Shift’ could do. I had no idea and I’ve watched YT videos that were completely off the rails.