Undo list

Going back a few steps with undo in Dorico is a pain. Please add an undo-list for all operations , which were done since the last start of Dorico. This is common for at least the most professional programs.

I agree. This may be hard to implement in Dorico but it certainly would make life easier. When undoing or redoing actions, itā€™s often hard to differentiate between simple mouse clicks and operations which take a long time and I often find myself having undone too much (or not enough) because Iā€™m only guessing which particular action Doricoā€™s [re]doing. Itā€™d be great to be able to call up a window with a list of actions which could be undone or redone in one go.

This has been asked before, so Iā€™m sure itā€™s on the teamā€™s list.

Asked before but just so itā€™s in this ā€˜Undo listā€™ threadā€¦
In addition to history, please can we just have an option to remove selection from undo, so that it moves by material changes.

The word ā€œjustā€ is very insidious ā€“ you use it as if you assume that doing this would be simple, which it would not. I donā€™t rule it out for the future, but I just want to make sure that you are not operating under the misapprehension that our failure to accede is unwarranted because it would be trivial to achieve. To be clear: it is not trivial to achieve.

However, we do of course plan to make it possible to show more information about what will be undone/redone and allow you to go back to a particular undo step in a future version.

2 Likes

is there any sort of ā€œarchival-saveā€ feature, by that where you issue save and a copy of the previously saved versions are retained ?
(like a built-in RCS) ?
In this manner, you could just do ctrl-s frequently knowing you could get back to any stable state in case you go down a rabbit hole.

The previous five saves are saved in the backup folder automatically.

is that what triggers those ? I thought those might be timed backups.
Thx,

No, timed saves are still on the todo list.

Daniel, I gave up programming in the 80ā€™sā€¦ I donā€™t think anything is trivialā€¦ Sorry if ā€˜justā€™ offended - I think I meant it as a subset of a full undo history. I feel in safe hands with the Dorico team deciding what needs to be done when.