Unexpected behaviour - Expression Maps

If I import or create a new expression map but do not save the current project, the expression map is not retained in the Expression Maps dialogue list. So it is quite easy to work on a new map and lose it.

Is that intended please?

1 Like

Well, yes - if you don’t save the document, then you lose what you’ve done!

Since they can be applied to any project and, when associated with an Endpoint, can be used in a Playback Template surely they are independent objects?

If you save an Endpoint, then they get saved as part of that, and then they will be loaded in when you apply a Playback Template.

Other objects have a little star icon that allows you to save them as Defaults, to be included in all new documents. However, there’s no such button for Ex Maps.

There are ways of including Ex Maps in every new document, but you’d need to export them first!

You can export your EM changes to a doricolib file. (Just remember to select all your changed entries before you hit export!)

In your new document, just import your saved map.

Thank you both Benwiggy and Janus - you are both correct. Unfortunately with both Endpoints and Expression Maps, the project they were created in must be saved before Dorico will remember them - even though they may then ve used independently.

As a learner I still find this a stumbling block. Since both Endpoints and Expression Maps are intended to be used independently, it would be more intuitive, and helpful, if they were saved independently.

Still - Dorico is brilliant!

I don’t think I’ve ever tried it, but I would be surprised if an Endpoint became unavailable to projects after you saved it, if you didn’t save the originating project.!!

In any case, I keep the project files I’ve used to create Endpoints, in case I want to edit the VST setup and Ex maps in the future.

I always export Expression Maps after working on them. This is still the only way you can be sure of having a copy for another project although the new Library Manager in Dorico 4 looks like being another and easier method --I’d prefer to test it further before relying entirely on it, though.

1 Like