Unexpected behaviour in "Add Ensemble"

“Add ensemble” doesn’t seem to be able to use the shortcut names in combination with a number with brass instruments such as Trumpets, Trombones and Tuba.
Quick tests show it works well with Woodwinds (Clarinet and Flute) and Strings (Violin).

The numberings is resolved once the Ensemble is added (meaning Clarinets are labeled 1-4 then).

The accepted abbreviations for brass seem to be hn, tpt, tbn. I tried switching my instrument names to German and starting a new project, and I didn’t find it took any other abbreviations.

(P.S. Happy Cakeday, klafkid!)

It takes „trp“, but not „3 trp“ as you can see in the picture above. I didn’t try the English abbreviations (because honestly I assumed it was also trp :sweat_smile:).

P.s. thanks, it‘s especially nice, since two days ago was my real-life cake-day :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a slightly vexed issue. The ensemble picker is using the same logic that we use in various places in the application to try to guess what instrument you might mean (it’s also used in MusicXML and MIDI import, for example), so it’s not trivial to change what it does, since that could have knock-on effects for other places where we rely on the same functionality. We have a few “fallback” guesses for some common abbreviations, and we have “tpt” for Trumpet, but not “trp”.

If you have a list of some other common abbreviations (ideally in English to begin with) that you think we should support, let me know, and I can experiment with adding them, though because of the shared nature of this service in the program, I can’t guarantee that they will all make it in.

(Oh, and happy belated birthday, Sascha.)

Being able to use just 0–9 and / is fantastic, though, so I’m not concerned about the abbreviations.

Thanks, that’s good to know. Then isn’t it curious, that a single “trp” works perfectly fine? The same with Trombone: “pos” works, but “3 pos” doesn’t. I understand that Dorico is doing a guessing game, but still I don’t see how numbers should influence that.
Well, for now I can only provide German abbreviations, I really know only the most commong English ones.

P.S. Thank you so much! That’s very kind, and releasing Dorico 4 just a day before was even kinder :wink: It made for a great gift to myself.

BTW: Happy belated cake-day to you , too! (maybe it’s still your cake day in your location!)

1 Like

No, it’s not especially curious: there are default ensembles available on the Choose page for things like “3 trumpets”, so they are also being picked up and presented to you.

Ah, I think I see what you mean now.