Unisons interfering/phasing in playback

When I write unisons in brass (in Dorico v4), the playback frequently becomes weaker due to interference. I believe this is because of pitch humanization causing the notes to be just off from one another, but I guess I don’t know for sure. I know that you can turn off pitch humanization because I did it a month ago in a different project but I can no longer find that setting despite quite a bit of searching. So I guess first question is, where is that setting?

Second question would be: what’s the best solution to this? Only other thread I could find mentioned panning as something that might help, but it only made much of a difference if I panned things extremely far, which isn’t really ideal for playback purposes. Thanks

I think pitch humanization is not a feature from Dorico but from your library. So that is where you should explore. Check out the round robins, it could also help with the phasing (although I am not sure that it will change the start of the sequence of the samples)

What library are you using?

I’m using the default sound library with v4, HALion Sonic SE. I’m not sure what you’re trying to suggest when you say “round rubins” (I googled that phrase and didn’t see anything relevant).

I swear I found some sort of pitch humanization setting somewhere but I can’t for the life of me find it now.

Some VST’s provide multiple samples for repeated notes in order to avoid a “machine-gun” sound of the exact same sample playing with the same velocity over and over. Such sample sets that can rotate slightly different samples for repeated notes are said to have “round-robin” capabilities.

Someone more knowledgeable than I can expand on this or correct me if I am wrong.

I don’t know the solution to your specific issue but are you referring to the Humanize option in playback options? That supposedly just adjusts dynamics randomly - not sure it would help your concern

Sounds right to me - ‘round rubins’ was a typo.

Of course it was a typo! Thanks for correcting.
Although a humanize function does exist (on Synchron stuff from VSL), there’s no such thing in the HALion SSE library in Dorico — the Humanize function in playback options does change dynamics but I don’t think it alters timing at all. And no round robins either, hence the phasing problems when you add duplicate instruments…

@MarcLarcher Yeah, sorry, was obvs to us, but the guy said he googled it, so was just pointing it out for clarity for non-English speakers. Peace

1 Like

This is why libraries that have multiple of a particular instrument tend work better in Dorico. People are talking about round robin to avoid machine-gun, but those only tend to be implemented for short notes like staccato notes where the machine gun effect is obvious. Even if the situation here was short notes, if both parts are the same, it would be the same short note round robin samples triggered for both parts simultaneously unless the sequence of round robins is randomized somehow by the sample player (in most cases they are not randomized), so you would still get the phasing and this would not help.

The only sure-fire way to avoid this type of interference is by using a library that has several different recordings of a particular instrument.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarifications on the typo. Bit of a novice here; hadn’t heard of round robin before. Regardless, seems like my phasing issue doesn’t have an “easy” solution, which is probably enough for me to just put this issue to rest unless I want to put more effort into my playback.

Anyway, all evidence here indicates I did not find a pitch humanization function in the past. I guess I must be misremembering something, but memory isn’t perfect I suppose. Thanks for the replies.

1 Like

Investing in NotePerformer would give you better playback without having to put additional effort into it.

1 Like

You may be able to reduce the effect by panning the instruments differently.